Author Topic: wrapping ?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline jham

wrapping ?
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:31 pm »
a little while back I cut some rivercane to try to make some arrows with, just ordered some feathers and field tips from 3rivers. As soon as I finished ordering I realized that I forgot to get any artificial siniew to wrap the fletchings with. Is it possible to wrap with regular thread or maybe unwaxed dental floss instead of using siniew? dont really want to pay shipping on another order if I can avoid it.

Offline artcher1

Re: wrapping ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:20 pm »
I use upholstery thread myself. But jean or coats/buttons thread is suitable also. Dental floss works good too............Art

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »
I've been using B-50, but have used upholstery thread too.  If you coat the wrapping in crazy glue, it will be more durable.

Offline jham

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:43:52 pm »
ok thanks, hopefully I will have some arrows soon. wasnt sure which to build first, arrows or a bow. Finally decided on arrows because thats what I had materials to make. now to get looking for a decent tree to make a bow from

Offline scattershot

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:46:30 pm »
Dental floss works well for wrapping nocks, but it's a little thick for wrapping fletching. I use ordinary thread for that, but I haven't mastered the technique yet. As others have said, use superglue or something to coat the wrapping and protect it
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline jham

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:00 pm »
Have to put the arrows on hold for a little while longer, broke several when I didnt heat them enough trying to straighten them. Have 3 shafts left, but only one that I think will make a decent arrow. Went and picked up a red oak board today to start trying a bow. got a thread going in the Bows section on it.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:25 am »
you can use whatever.  just use tight wraps and keep the wraps close together.  ive started using extra strong black thread i bought from walmart.  its pretty tough stuff.  anyways.  i glue the feathers on by hand, then trim the very end of the feathers so that i can wrap the quill down.  then when it looks good, i use duco to seal the wrappings, and put a blob on the end of the fletching to hold the rear of it too.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:27 am »
I agree w/ aero86, use what you have.  I like the yellow denim thread like for jeans.  I like duco too, but also use gorilla super glue.  I use the duco on real sinew also.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:28:20 am »
I foot both ends of the arrow with an 1/8 " piece of cherry or black walnut.  Looks good, beefs up the arrow and no need to wrap.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »
I keep a container of unwaxed dental floss in my arrow tool box for emergency use. I use it for all sorts of wraps. It would be too thick to wrap through the feathers but works well for the forward and rear end as well as for self nocks. Dental floss is very similar to artificial sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:19 pm »
I've used dental floss to sew with in a pinch, but never for wrapping.  I'd say the unwaxed would probably be the best, though.  I really don't like using imitation sinew because I feel like I can't get it tight enough and being waxed, it seems like it wants to move around unless it's been glued.  That might just be me though.  I like real sinew because it shrinks and regular (heavy duty) thread.  I seal both with duco or super glue.  I've already said this in another post, though.  Have a great day/weekend.

Bowtarist says, "Play string music daily."
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)