Author Topic: Osage Blanks  (Read 8391 times)

Offline snag

Re: Osage Blanks
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 03:29:47 pm »
Thanks for the number Pappy. I'll be a name dropper! haha
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline snag

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »
Just called him. He was "steaming" and couldn't talk right now. Suppose to call back in 1/2 hr. Got to love that!

Offline snag

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »
What a great man. Of course you guys who know him know that! Didn't realize it is his DVD that I've been watching at home...haha  Thanks, David

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »
I am in Florida. A good distance away. But will give him a call. Hope he is readin all these Great reviews he is gettin. I'm sure it would be a boost to him to know how well he is thought of.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

HatchA

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »
hmmmm, wonder if he'd ship to Canada??? ::)

Well...  he shipped three blanks to Ireland ;D  so "up North" shouldn't be a problem for him ;)

Can only concur with the above comments - Gary's a true gent and does deals based on "gentleman's agreement" kinda thing.  I wanted him to hold off on sending the blanks until he got the money I posted but he said "...you post the money and I'll post the blanks because we're both gentlemen aren't we?  That's how we do things...".  Man, I never prayed so hard for my letter to get to it's destination before in my life!!  hehehe

One blank he chose for me was an inside split and (as he said on the phone at the time) it's clean... VERY clean!! No knots or pin knots in it at all!  I haven't even begun to start on that one - I'm waiting til I get a permanent set-up before finishing it off.  Another blank he chose is a spliced blank made up of sister billets and, though he also sent me skins to back it with, I'll probably leave it unbacked as it's a beautiful flecked kinda osage.

In short...  if'n ya cain't cut an' split yer own osage...  Gary's tha Man to talk to!!

Offline snag

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:08 am »
"Gentlemen's agreement".....that's way he does things....I like that man.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:40 am »
      Only met Gary once but he seemed like the real deal to me. Knows his stuff and is an honest gentleman. Never heard one bad thing about him in many years of him selling staves.

HatchA

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
Hope he is readin all these Great reviews he is gettin. I'm sure it would be a boost to him to know how well he is thought of.

Unfortunately (if things haven't changed for him in the last 7 months or so) he doesn't have or operate a computer.  Everything is done via phone and snail mail.  He asked me to send him pictures of the finished bows, when I get them done and I'll have to print out hard copies and post them to him in a big ol' envelope - just like in "The Old Days" ;)

How cool is that? ;D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:56 pm »
Gary is a true old school Gentleman and a fine craftsman.
Heck, his rough blanks are nicer than some finished bows... ;)