Author Topic: Hickory / ERC - a start & a BLOW! (Hey Blackhawk)  (Read 10567 times)

blackhawk

Re: Hickory / ERC - a start & a BLOW! (Hey Blackhawk)
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »
At least you haven't given up yet. That's a good sign and what separates those who make and those who don't  and gave up. Id guess you can call it paying your dues. And it looks like your willing to pay the fee. Keep up the good work brother. It'll come and even after that happens you'll still have some break on ya,but it shouldn't bother ya if ya already paid your dues.  :)

You definetly have the zeal,patience,and desire to do this,and soon you will be making great bows and even be helping others out one day too.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »
That sucks Lee. That was going to be a beautiful bow, it happens to all of us though. Good luck on the next one.

Thanks bud, 1st busted bow really sucked...kinda getting used to it now  ::)

I went thru a long phase where failure was fast becoming my comfort zone!  Here's hoping you bust out of this rut you are in, Lee!

Thanks JW, as long as I'm out of "this" rut and have built a shooter by the real Rut I'll happy as a pig in mud  8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »
Lee I know some of you all really like your cedar, but I absolutely hate it. I tried to bend a piece one time and it wouldn't give an inch with heat or steam. I finally put enough pressure on it that it snapped just like your bow did. I vowed to never try another piece of cedar in the same room where I'm building a bow again after that episode.
It just seems like bad karma now.  :(

Sorry about the bow.

Can't you work on any of that osage yet?
I'd rather work a green piece of osage than a dry piece of cedar anyday.  LOL ;)

Thanks Chris, I can't say I'm in love with working with ERC but I do so love the way it looks with a finish on it.  Maybe I can just have someone print up a decal/graphic that looks like ERC and stick on the back of a Hickory bow  ;D

I am about to start another bow but I need to decide if I want to try a lam build on that caul or try an Osage stave on it...dang, being so new to this I find myself going in a hundred different directions at the same time.  I want to build one of everything and seeing all these great bows on here on daily basis doesn't always ease the mind.  Good stuff and I'm loving it.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »
At least you haven't given up yet. That's a good sign and what separates those who make and those who don't  and gave up. Id guess you can call it paying your dues. And it looks like your willing to pay the fee. Keep up the good work brother. It'll come and even after that happens you'll still have some break on ya,but it shouldn't bother ya if ya already paid your dues.  :)

You definetly have the zeal,patience,and desire to do this,and soon you will be making great bows and even be helping others out one day too.

Hey Chris, very kind words and I really appreciate the "pep talk".  I have no issue paying my dues...loving this stuff to death so far and I'm sure it will only get better once I get through some of the learning curve.

I'll let the cat out of the bag here on this but I'll probably jinx myself by doing so...I was able to salvage a whole whopping 37 1/2" from that ERC bow so I decided to keep messing around with it.  I cut pin nocks on it and started tillering it again and last night I had it pulling 37# @ 14"  Not sure if she'll keep it up or hold but i'd like to try and get her pulling out to at least 18"  Might end up being a fun little Turkey bow yet  ;)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:25 pm »
Dropped a touch of weight getting to 17", only 34#'s so no turkey bow but it might be a fun little shortbow to have around the house for strongish midgets  ;D

I think the left limb is a touch stiff mid-limb and almost starting to hinge so I'll need to address that now...

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:55 am »
That a boy Lee... ;D

And yes your right on. Get that mid limb left limb loosened up. Good practice for you and great entertainment for me  :D
your right that is a bow for midgets(no offense anyone)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:06 am »
Oh, and I want to apologize for making everyone stare at the back of my ugly head...yikes!  I need to get a full on Tiller tree / grid / pulley system setup, one that lets me stand way back to see the limbs working and keeps my mug out of the frame  ::)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold