Author Topic: Anybody ever back Ipe with Osage, or Osage with Ipe???  (Read 2110 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Anybody ever back Ipe with Osage, or Osage with Ipe???
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:12 am »
Just wondering if this combo would work? Thinking about an Osage backed Ipe cause I read that Ipe likes to be a belly wood with some kind of backing.

Then again, has anybody ever used it as a backing on Osage?

With the high compression strength of Ipe I know that it wouldn't get crushed by any means from an Osage backing, but would the Osage slow the Ipe down and make the bow sluggish?
Or the other way with Ipe as the backing and Osage on the belly would the Ipe crush the Osage?

No, I'm not high or intoxicated just been eating too much Osage saw dust lately and I'm bored.  ;D

Just thinking out loud for the group to kick around and chime in with your opinions, experiences, suggestions, ect.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Stonepoint

Re: Anybody ever back Ipe with Osage, or Osage with Ipe???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:56:19 am »
I have never backed them together but if I was going to I would use the osage for the backing and Ipe for belly wood

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:59:00 am »
I'm no expert but Ipe is almost always backed because it is compression strong but not so much tension, also it is real hard to know for sure that the grain is clear(no pin knots and such) because it is so thin ringed and hard to see. Richard Saffold a member here has made selfbows from it but has said you need to be extra careful. so the osage backed ipe would be my choice. osage has a higher sg then hickory so I pretty sure it would make a good backing. those are my thoughts anyway, but I have no experience with osage- wet side of wa st.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:50 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17901.0.html

This one finally gave up the ghost just before last hunting season, but it was a screamer. Top lam pulled a splinter just up out of the fade, and went up into the limb. I cried. :'(  I plan on another one but will use plain sawn osage to back it.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:28:11 am »
Geez that's too bad Tim, that bow was a beauty.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:51:52 am »
Oh yeah Tim that's what I'm talkin about! Boy that was a sharp lookin bow.
I think after seeing those pictures and reading your high praise about it, I'm gonna have to try one as soon as my Ipe gets here.

I was just going to do another BBO, but I'm down to just 3 bamboo blanks and I'd like to save those for other bows. On the other hand I've got some Ipe coming, about 6 blanks I believe? Made a trade with a PA member here and I'll be anxious to try it once it hits the driveway. I've already got an osage bow blank profiled out and just got done heating in my R/D Hybrid design to it on my caul, so that's why I was curious if anybody had ever paired Ipe up with Osage.
It began life as an ugly crooked stave that nobody wanted and that's usually what I end up working on and selling the good staves so I'm kinda used to working with less than perfect wood. I finally got all the kinks out and was just going to do a selfbow for my bow swap over on TG, but it wouldn't make weight unless I back it with boo or add a belly lam of some sort and then it's not technically a selfbow anymore, but that's not a problem.

I think I'm gonna go for it.

You answered my questions perfectly Tim...........Thanks!

BTW- You had that tiller nailed perfect.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:58:47 am by SEMO_HUNTER »
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »
never backed one with osage but heres two selfbows from ipe