Author Topic: Vine Maple shortie  (Read 9271 times)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Vine Maple shortie
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:31:49 pm »
Thanks TBod, nathan and crooketarrow glad you guys like it. Always good to hear that people like what you make
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »
I love it.  When I saw the title of your post I thought - "this should be interesting."  Then I was very impressed to read that you rebuilt this bow.  I think that takes amazing skill.  You didn't seem happy with the results then took drastic measures and you were able to create something you're proud of. 

When I scrolled down and saw the fill draw / tiller pic. I thought "Wow! Now that looks amazing."  Then I was seriously impressed with the unbraced profile.  I don't see ANY set at ALL.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around making a bow with zero set.  I think I'd be happy with less than an inch.  Just awesome.  Beautiful too.  Nicely done man.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »
Thanks Arrowind, actually when I heat treated the belly I put 1.5" of reflex into it. so it took that much in set. not perfect but pretty good. I tend to go too fast when tillering and as a consequence set happens. tiller isn't perfect either but I don't want to drop the weight any more.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »
Eric , that is an awesome full draw and a beauty of a bow . great job on a shortie

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
Ya know Ken, I never liked this style of bow until I kept seeing them being put out( 2-3 a week it seems) by this guy from Georgia on this site. ;) when you keep seeing them you start to like them. I think this is my co-favorite style now with the ELB. both are D tillered so I kinda staying loyal. :)  oh ya glad you like it.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »
Dang that is a nice bow,wish I had some vine maple.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »
 ;D

Offline JonW

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »
I love the bend on that bow man. Tiller looks good for the stave and does everything have to be perfect? (if it does i'm doomed!!). Shorties ROCK!!!!!!

Jon W.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 07:17:06 pm »
Man, the arc/bend on that bugger is sooo slick.  That is very much the style of bow I'd like to be able to produce on a consistant basis.  Very, very nice bow Eric!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 12:07:43 am »
lol. Jon, no don't have to be perfect just try your best or I'd be doomed as well.thanks for the nice words.   Thanks a bunch Lee, I think I'm going to try the same style with another stave of vine maple I have just 50-55# and use it hunting this year.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 12:47:04 am »
Yeah I agree with the others-sweet!love the profile and it looks like you gotter bending just perfect-Hammertime

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:45 am »
Thanks Hammer :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 02:22:52 am »
I love Vine Maple!! Man you did a great job on that! Very well done!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »
Thanks Elktracker, ya vine maple is some awesome stuff. best of all it is like a weed around here and free!  kinda funny how you always want what you don't have, guy's down south have osage and hickory and are wanting yew and vm and us in the NW have yew and vm and are wanting hickory and osage. (or whatever isn't in your area).

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:37 pm »
Thanks Elktracker, ya vine maple is some awesome stuff. best of all it is like a weed around here and free!  kinda funny how you always want what you don't have, guy's down south have osage and hickory and are wanting yew and vm and us in the NW have yew and vm and are wanting hickory and osage. (or whatever isn't in your area).

Funny how that works...I was thinking the same thing a while back and it is pretty dang true for a whole bunch of us.  Some are happy with what they have locally but I read a post daily (and add a few myself) on the very same topic.

And yes, I too, wish I had some Vine Maple  ;D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold