Author Topic: New to Primitive bow making  (Read 2557 times)

PrimitiveVsns

New to Primitive bow making
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:15:58 am »
From Pa here and looking to make my first primitive bow. Don't have Osage here so my choices seem limited. I decided to use Maple but not sure if it matters which kind and if it needs backed if I follow the growth ring. I did have a practice piece to see if I could shave down to the growth ring, at one point it became difficult to tell the difference between early and late wood. I wasn't sure if I was shaving into the late wood or not. Any tips would help out a lot and be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Weylin

Re: New to Primitive bow making
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:06:38 am »
Welcome! You'll get more advice than you can handle on here. I'm pretty new to so I wont waste your time with my advice, I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in here shortly. Are you working with a maple stave or a board?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:15:31 am »
  if you are able to cut a white ash or hickory this time of year, establishing a single growth ring for the back is super easy-  Just peel off the bark and voila, the exposed wood will be your back of your bow and it's already a single growth ring.  This time of year is perfect to do this as the bark will just peel right off taking the cambium with it and leaving you with a pristine back. I love working with white woods because of this.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:18:17 am »
Welcome and what Turtlecreek said on the white wood. Good luck and keep us updated.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:49 am »
Welcome ...do you know the path your about to take with making bows  >:D. Read thru the current thread" Justin an observation"

I see your from central Pa. I live over in western Pa. If you were closer id say come on over and let's make a bow,and id show ya a thing or two. Your wood choice isn't limited either here. All kinds of good woods. Hickories,hophornbeam,elms,etc...on the whitewoods,and I bet if you look hard enough you can find some Osage around your area.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »
There are a lot of other bow woods besides osage and yew. It really is unfortunate that beginners feel so limited. My site has info. Gotta go. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:36 pm »
blackhaw, what part of Western PA you from? I live in Northern VA now but I'm originally from Greensburg, parents and in-laws stilll live there.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »
Welcome to PA
Hope your ok with being addicted cause you cant stop it now!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »
Stingray..im in beaver county north-north west of Pitt. Greensburgs about an hour+ from here.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:01 pm »
Maple is my favorite bow wood right now. No need to chase a ring. Peel off the bark and THERE IS THE BACK of the bow. Sugar/hard maple is the best in my opinion.