Author Topic: noob trying to make a bow  (Read 11892 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: noob trying to make a bow
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:18:23 am »
Welcome David,you will like it here.Can't start to young,wished I had started like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline david w.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 09:35:46 am »
jbell the stave would be awesome. everyone is so nice here.  thank you. ill pm you when the time comes. ill pay shipping to.  thanks so much.  i live in godfrey its right next to alton.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Jbell

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 09:46:44 am »
No need to pay shipping David, we are barely 30 minutes away ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 09:57:38 am »
realy thats cool

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 11:01:26 am »
David, welcome to our tribe. You have already found out how generous these folks are.

My advice is don't feel stressed or embarrased about posting your work for us to see and comment on (even the mistakes, and all of us make em I do, anyway :)); I was when I posted my first bow here, and didn't have to be.

I am always inspired and educated. Pretty soon, you can call yourself a bowyer - strike the term noob - beginner is better :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline StanM

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 12:22:45 pm »
David,

Sounds like you've already got your bow dimensions worked out, but I'm going to post a couple of pictures that I found on my old camera for you anyway, in case you ever decide to make another board bow.

I forgot to say in my other confusing post that we also use the bandsaw to taper the tips to 1/2" wide over the last 12" of the limb.

Here's a pic of the handle layout and another of a bow that one of my 13 year-old students built last year.  Wish I had a full draw pic of his bow as the tiller was excellent.

Have fun, Stan.
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 12:44:15 pm »
you're class is the luckiest class ever! the bow looks good.  with the handle mine is a little different the handle is the same width as the bow.  Do you think i should taper the handle? What is the string length on a 70" ntn bow?

Offline StanM

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 07:37:47 pm »
Hey David,

I do feel lucky to be able to teach an archery class in a public school.  One benefit of small town living.  I wouldn't do the handle like I described on your bow unless you are glueing on extra material. 

As for a string I would think something around 67" would be a good place to start.  You can always twist it up a bit if you need to.  Making a string is really not that hard if you can get someone to show you. 

Please post some pics if you can as you tiller your bow and let us see the progress that you are making.  Have fun,

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline david w.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 08:56:50 pm »
thank everyone for the help :)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 11:36:36 pm »
Welcome aboard david, can't wait to see what you're making. I think your string may be a little long, I use a string with only one nock loop and use a timber hitch at the other end, but usually the string is 3-4" shorter than your nock to nock, you can adjust by twisting the string some.
VB

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 12:14:02 am »
Do check out the bows that "Dakotian" and jcougar have made.  They started about your age and are not as old as me yet!
-OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 12:57:58 am »
 Nobody is as ole' as you Don, exceptin' me  !  :o ;D ;D ;D..bob