Author Topic: rawhide too thick for backing?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline furdressing1

rawhide too thick for backing?
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:10:13 pm »
 I have just read an article in PA on the building of knife sheaths and in the article the author was cutting the rawhide with a utility knife. The rawhide I have been trying to use for backing on bows cannot be cut with a knife even when rehydrated ( much too thick). The best way I have found is with a jig saw when still hard. My question is: is my rawhide too heavy and thick for backing and this is why I can't seem to have it adhere to the bow? If so has someone got a suggestion on how to reduce the thickness?
  Thanks
   Dale

Offline Barrage

Re: rawhide too thick for backing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:25 am »
A table belt sander works fantastic.  Or a hand belt sander if you don't have a table belt sander.
Travis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:41:46 am »
I agree with the belt sander.  One other tip is that if you cut strips and they're wavy, it's much easier to thin them on the sander if they're flat.  I found it helps if you soak the rawhide a bit to soften it, then clamp it between two boards.  It will dry nice and flat and you can get it to a nice even thickness.  (Just don't clamp between treated lumber or it will stain green :) ) And make sure you sand the flesh side of the hide.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:09:27 am »
  I'd say if you can't cut it,it's to thick. Sand it like said above. I like it thin,thinner the better. When I backed bows I like mine 16 'th even thinner will work just fine. Remember it's rock hard and thinner it is the more plyable it will be.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline furdressing1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »
Thanks guys, I guess it's time to get the belt sander working and give this another go. Appreciate the advice.
    Dale