Author Topic: gift of osage  (Read 2359 times)

Offline bubby

gift of osage
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:18:29 pm »
after gstoneberg got the trade bow I sent him, he sent me this great piece of osage, said every bowyer should get to work osage once, man I am stoked, here's some pics of the stave and I'm gonna post pics as the work get's done, thank's again George, Bub

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

Re: gift of osage
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:45 pm »
made a little centering tool and got it laid out and trimmed up on the bandsaw, working on 64" ntn with a straight taper to about 14" from the tips, thinking about r/d bow as it already has some natural deflex

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »
Woohoo, those borers were so deep that is nearly a board bow. ::)  Have fun, sorry about the twist. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »
that's ok george, the twist will come out with some work, and I'm used to working board's :), Bub

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
very nice gift George.bubby I was gonna ask if he gave it to you with the back already chased but seeing his reaction I know. :). of course that would take the fun out of osage.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »
Very nice love that Osage. ;D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:35 pm »
Careful....ya might catch that gold fever  >:D

Nice gesture George,and I agree everyone should get a chance to try Osage at least once.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to throw the B.S. flag on this play!  THAT stave did not come from gstoneberg.  Everyone knows all he has is corkscrewey, knot-ridden, cancerous sticks of sheer nastiness masquerading as osage!!!

>:D >:D >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »
 ;D ;D  Not true JW!  I trade or give away the good ones and keep the gnarly ones so I get to have all the fun. >:D  Well, there are some people I give cruddy wood to.... ;) ;) ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DEllis

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:47:01 am »
I'm sorry, but I have to throw the B.S. flag on this play!  THAT stave did not come from gstoneberg.  Everyone knows all he has is corkscrewey, knot-ridden, cancerous sticks of sheer nastiness masquerading as osage!!!

>:D >:D >:D
You forgot to mention "chok full of borers" ;D
Just kidding George :)
Nice stave Bubby (insert "thumbs up" smilie here) ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:25 am »
Actually you're right, that one was "chok full of borers".  I took off about an inch of heartwood to get under them.  Yikes!  The next one I do I'm going to treat like I'm sistering and just split a bunch off before touching the draw knife.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:17:03 am »
!!!! Thats an amazing gift.  I just had to dish out half my life to get my first osage stave up here in Northern Ontario.  I totally agree every bowyer should work it at least once, it truly is an awesome bow wood.  I had a great time with mine (and even managed a shooter) Im sure you will too!
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
That is a great looking peice of sage. Lot straighter than what i'm used to, or at least the last time i built a bow :-\.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:00 am »
You could stick that on the snout of a light aircraft, I'm sure it'd pull a small plane up into the sky with that twist!!  ;);)

Nice gift!  Should make a really nice bow ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:42 am »
Nah, that's a fine pitch prop.  I have one similar to it that's definitely a coarse pitch prop! >:D >:D  It's wider, might be able to get 2 propellers from that one...for a twin, maybe a KingAir.. ;D

George
St Paul, TX