Author Topic: First attempt  (Read 4034 times)

Offline jham

Re: First attempt
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »
I cut around the outline with a skill saw, but left about 1/4 in to be safe. took that down with a finger plane and rasp. the belly I narrowed using a belt sander. Its about ready for a long string now. Have to go get a pulley and some cord to use as a long string and I will start tillering, may need yall's help on that.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
i always find straight grained 1/2" x 2" x 4' which can make a 40-50lb shorty.  And easy and fun to practice tillering and trying to get the lowest set.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:01 pm »
Yeah those little boards are awesome to make shortbows out of. I've made a 55# hunting shorty out of one of those 3 dollar boards...

Offline jham

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:22:37 pm »
ok time for an update, been taking plenty of breaks but also have done some work on it. put  a long string on it and rigged up a tillering tree. when do I need to switch from a rasp to a scraper? Im asking because it is still stiff at the fades, mostly bending midlimb. one side starts bending about 5-6 in out from the handle, the other starts 7-8 in out.  Ive tried drawing lines on the stiff portion then scraping smooth but dont want to remove too much wood. I think I still have plenty to work with but wanted opinions. right now I have about 2-3 in of tip movement as Im working it, but I am not applying much force as I want to get the limbs bending more even before I try to stress anything.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:17 pm »
I suggest a bend in the handle bow for you first. Info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 07:49:19 am »
build yourself a tillering gizzmo, it's on the how to page, it will help you a bunch, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jham

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 08:40:48 am »
My bow building has been on kind of a hiatus while I've been working in the garden, but im back started on it now. Had to change out the pulley on my tree as the old one was too far from the tree, which could cause it to twist. Now I have another pulley that will work a lot better. How good does the tiller need to be on the long string before I shorten it up? Right now its stiff coming out of the fades and at the tips, most of the bend seems to be in the mid limbs. I dont want to string it too soon and hinge it or cause extra set. Should I keep it on the long string and even it out some or go for broke and string it with the regular string?