Author Topic: Things we ate as kids. A continuation of Thomas H's post  (Read 3603 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Things we ate as kids. A continuation of Thomas H's post
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:17:13 am »
After reading through Thomas H's post on all the things we done as children (most of which I tried). It brought back a lot of old memories of the way life was for me growing up in the hills of Ky poor as a snake.
 I thought of a lot of the things I used to eat regular back then that I haven't had in years. Biscuits NEVER came from a can and everything was cooked with lard from a 5 gallon bucket and milk and butter was real.  We ate fish at least 3 days a week. Groundshogs, mud turtles, poke and creesy salad were regulars too. My momma would fix chocolate gravy and cat head biscuts on Saturday morning and once in a while daddy would make "sweet bread". Man that was good!
 Things sure have changed since I was a kid...and I miss it.
 What all did you have back then that has seemed to dissapear as you've gotten older?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Things we ate as kids. A continuation of Thomas H's post
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:48 am »
My mother, bless her soul, could screw up a frozen pot pie.  But my dad used to go to Canada with his buddies every year around Memorial Day.  Back then they could bring back a pretty nice pile of fish and we used to weep for joy over a big plate of fried walleyes and northern pike. 

Since I got out on my own I learned to cook cuz I love to eat.  If it walks, flies, runs, crawls, or even just lays there and quivers I'll eat it.  I have a fondness for smoked porcupine, antelope marrow bones, sandhill crane kebobs, and pickled creek suckers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:16 am »
i rememebr my grandpa and uncles taking off for 3-4 days
and going all the way up north and coming back with a pickup box full of "smelt"
tasty little fishies  >:D ;D
i loved them,now the smelt run is all but disappeard
i also remember butchering and grandma coming out to the butchering area and grabbing all the chickens feet
she would scrub them clean deep fry them in lard mmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty cakes  ;D
then there were all the "other parts" grandma would gather and cook(all nasty looking,but good eating,Polish dishes)
then there were all the other things i ate for various reason
like worms,bugs,live frogs and minnows etc etc etc

hell i even ate dog food
not on a dare or anything like that
i ate it because i was hungry,but thats a differant story all together

jw you guys hunt sand hill out there?
 they just opened 2 little areas of out state for it,too damn far for me to drive
hoping htey open it near me soon,we have hundreds and hundreds in this area now
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:07:37 am »
Yup, we hunt sandy's out here.  Kentucky is proposing a sandhill crane season and the antihunters are blowing a gasket thinking everyone is going to shoot a whoping crane by mistake. 

Those "in the know" filet out the crane breasts and grill 'em.  They are known as flying rib-eyes, mmmmm!

Oh man, a heaping platter of smelt sounds great right now. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:15:27 am »
My Grandmother on my fathers side was straight from Cornwall England...they didn't waste a Thing...Mexicans don't have nothing on the Cornish!! She used to make the best Pasties....Potato Sausage...Blood Sausage...Tongue...Head Cheese...Corned Beef Hash...Saffron Buns and Bread Pudding I have ever eaten...and everything was cooked in Lard...

My Mom could cook anything...but She normally cooked with very little...and made a lot...I don't know how She did it...but She fed all of Us...lots of Potatoes...Corn Bread...Biscuits and Gravy...Pancakes...and not just for Breakfast...and everything that my dad...and I hunted and trapped ...Deer...Rabbit ...Beaver ...Porkies ...Partridge ...Woodcock ...Goose ...you name it...She could make a Meal fit for Royalty from it...but when I moved to Texas at 24...I found out that Chili didn't have macaroni in it.... ;D...you guessed it...She added it to make it fill the Bellies of 10 Kids better!

Now my favorites are still the Pan Fish and Crayfish I used to catch in the Quarry down the Road...We would go there and dig a few Worms...fish for Blue Gill and Crappie...catch a few...gut them ...and then use all the Guts and Eyeballs to catch Crayfish....Then We
would throw them Crayfish in a Coffee Can and Boil them on a Fire by the Water...and fry the Fish on a hot rock...and me and Jan Koski...and my Brother Glenn would pig out ...man they were good!!

Oh...and by the way Shannon...You can keep the Sweetbread.... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:23:05 am »
Tim I wasn't nessasarily talking about all the "nasty" stuff. But if you want to go there... LOTS of squirrel brains and eyes and tongues. Pig brains, cow tongues, worms (cooked and raw) Fish tails, crackilins, I actually liked dog and cat food with milk. Creek chubs are delicious! Horney head minnows, june bugs, piss ants, grasshoppers and crickets (crickets are nasty) but not as bad as a horn worm.
 Mike, I don't know if the sweet bread was that good...or I was just real hungry.
 When I was growing up if it was put in front of me...I ate it! Not because it might tast good, but because I was hungry!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:27:04 am »
Fresh air and appetite are the two best sauces in the world. 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:43 am »
I grew up about the Same...You got some of everything on the Table...and if Ya didn't like it...you didn't ask for seconds...but you ate the first plate...because ...them was the rules!! Plus...if you didn't eat it...then that Hollar leg I had...was still Hollar.... >:D

but Sweetbread still sux......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:14:30 am »
When we butchered a hog we cooked the head with the liver, lungs, tongue and what ever else put onions and seasoning to make head meat and hash. The younguns trimmed the fat to make lard and we would take the pieces of lean and poke a skewer stick through then cook it over the head pot.

Robins, we ate whole flocks. Back then the birds migrated in huge numbers and got down south in November or so. I always got a day or two out of school when the robins "got here" and my Mama would pick and clean every bird I killed.

Lane

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:20 am »
Damn makes me miss my Granny she cooked all or most of the stuff yall mentioned she was a wild game cook extrordinair she cooked whatever me dad and papa caught or killed any thing smaller than a hog she cleaned herself she said men didn't know how to clean game right. That ol gal was tough when I was five she stood me up in a chair by the stove with an apron tied under my arm pits and taught me how to  cook she said a man deeded to know how to cook at least good enough to feed himself. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:38 am »
Sounds like my Grandma...Ronnie...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:31 pm »
Yeah she was pretty cool she taught me how to hop a freight train. No Kidding.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
I grew up in a New England town right on the ocean.  Fishing boats would be moored there by the dozens.  I remember eating lots of clams, lobster, crab, cod, and flounder.  I took it for granted that I could walk to the piers and catch flounder and crabs all day long.  I could walk a little further and dig for clams during low tide.

Dang, I miss it!  :(
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:12 pm »
Well I'm a little Younger then y'all only 28 but as a kid our staple food was deer and wild hog and there was a dairy close by and I loved the whole milk my dad would get mmmmmmmm one time I fried up some fresh water clams ugh it didn't go well 12:00 pm I was puking  my brains out lol
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline BearG

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
Tim I wasn't nessasarily talking about all the "nasty" stuff. But if you want to go there... LOTS of squirrel brains and eyes and tongues. Pig brains, cow tongues, worms (cooked and raw) Fish tails, crackilins, I actually liked dog and cat food with milk. Creek chubs are delicious! Horney head minnows, june bugs, piss ants, grasshoppers and crickets (crickets are nasty) but not as bad as a horn worm.
 Mike, I don't know if the sweet bread was that good...or I was just real hungry.
 When I was growing up if it was put in front of me...I ate it! Not because it might tast good, but because I was hungry!
Shannon you still eat like that. ;D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.