Author Topic: Primative thumper busters?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Primative thumper busters?
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:57:04 am »
Hi,

I'm looking around my shop and thinking about what I can use to make some primitive, OK "new primitive", bunny blunts.  I had the following two ideas.  a rounded river pebble hot glued then sinued to the end of the shaft. Hot glue should act as a bit of a shock absorber and save the shafts.  I also have a fair bit of antler.  I thought that might just look sweet and depending on the design might not get lost on the first shot.  Has anyone tried this?

I have a lathe so I was thinking about boring our a slip on head.  Maybee if I file some teeth on it they will help catch and tip the arrow up.  I have some <1/8" spring steel wire left from an invention that didn't' work out so well.  I could give it tines like the Judo points.

Has anyone tried this?  Or had any other ideas?  I've seen the spent casing blunts but I want something a little more refined.   

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Primative thumper busters?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:14:24 am »
Howdy,  First take a look at the latest issue of.....Primitive Archer magazine.  There's a fine article on wooden blunts.  I think similar to the idea you're describing for the antler.    There was also a thread not too long ago on various homemade arrow heads.   The nutter   ( a tapered tip with a steel nut threaded on) was a popular choice  and some variations had crossed wires behind the nut.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:29:16 am »
Check out the thread labeled   "small game points"    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »
PB, I agree w/ M-P about the thread.  If you haven't checked out the thread @ the top of this page, "sticky" I think it also says, then you should.  Lot's of great small game tips that were collected from past PA posts.  Good luck and lets see em when you're done.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:57 pm »
Yea I saw those.  I'm just curious aobut antler tip designs in general I guess or if the simple lashed on stone would be more effective. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:41 pm »
James Parker(Robustus) made an antler tip broadhead by adding 5 micro blades inlet along the antler like a 5 blade broadhead...and killed a deer or two with it.  8)      I believe it is an ancient European or Urasian style point. I believe he bored a tapered hole in the end to accept the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:48 am »
Barrage posted a killer looking antler blunt/judo point/gopher killer in the sticky....might be what you are looking for?

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:32 am »
Yea thanks.  I'm gonig to try turning the bone on a lathe.  It's so how now I can't realy work in the shop.  I sweat like a goat.  Got rust started on my  hand plane, bandsaw table and brand new card scraper. :-\

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:24 am »
Maybe you can spray that rusty stuff down w/ some WD40.  Wipe clean before using next time.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 04:28:27 am »
I sanded it all and coated everything with paste wax.  That usualy works wonders and if I'm not going to be in the shop for a while I'll do this.  But this heat has been terrible.