Author Topic: Recurving wood  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
Recurving wood
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:02:07 am »
Hey, I was wondering how do the people out there reflex or recurve their bows, e.g do you use a form that goes all through the bow or one that just goes on the very tips of the bow limbs? Im trying to make shorter bows and i dont have much experience with that... ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline dwardo

Re: Recurving wood
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:14 pm »
I have two forms, one for each end. Just lumps of wood with a curved top and a notch for the bow tip to sit in. I am sure there are lots of more sophisticated ones out there but mine do the job well enough for my needs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »
Hi YoungBowyer,
I don't have as much experience as others with it but I'll give it my best shot.  Many reflex there bows on a form that holds the entire length of the bow and clamping the bow in.  I've done several with a "limb-length" form and make the form more narrow than the bow itself when using a heat gun, reason being, if the form is wider the heat gets trapped under the back and can scorch it.  Don't be afraid of adding reflex "by hand" though.  You can use Crisco to coat the belly and just heat the bow evenly until you feel it begin to "give" when bending in reflex.  Hold it in position long enough so it begins to cool off before letting go of your reflex.
Recurves?  I have trouble with them.  It seems that it may be easiest to add them for many woods while it is still green.  Forms for reflex seem to be built around more of the outer 3rd of the limb with most of the arc in the last 6 or so inches.  A metal strip will help reinforce the belly when recurving so a splinter doesn't pop as easily.  Also, you can go much thinner than many think on your limb tips and it will help to allow the reflex to bend without lifting a splinter on the belly (a problem I've had).  
Perhaps you can PM someone if you've seen a specific bow that you'd like to mimic.
Good luck!

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »
What diamter is that Scott?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:26:51 pm »
That's a great design, Scott.
1’—>1’

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »
Beautiful Scott, im going to try this, thanks  :D

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:37 pm »
Im starting the holes, however my wood hand drill is painful for the hands to use  ::), may take a while!  ;D

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »
Done my form!  ;D Boy is that wood drill hard to use, anyways, i tried bending my hickory stave, but
there was a pin knot so now i have a crack  :( need some sinew or rawhide to patch.

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
Done my form!  ;D Boy is that wood drill hard to use, anyways, i tried bending my hickory stave, but
there was a pin knot so now i have a crack  :( need some sinew or rawhide to patch.

Hmm..similar names....
I just use a simple form, i use a piece of scrap wood with 2 2 inch diamter sticks on the end. then i clap my bow in the middle and bend the ends over the sticks.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:14:25 am »
I swear this is coincidence  :o
Anyways I like that idea because you can do both sides at once, that'll save me some time  ;D

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:37:52 am »
I swear this is coincidence  :o
Anyways I like that idea because you can do both sides at once, that'll save me some time  ;D

haha this might get confusing! ;)