Author Topic: white ash heartwood?  (Read 3182 times)

TurtleCreek

white ash heartwood?
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:59 pm »
 Would this work? or would it be to brittle?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: white ash heartwood?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:39:11 pm »
I see no reason it wont work. Some staves are small enough that both sapwood and heartwood are used. This is just speculation on my part.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »
if ya got it, build it and find out, worst that can happen is it blows ;), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »
  The piece has some of the prettiest grain where the belly would be that I have ever seen and it has some snake to it also. I will definitely post a pic when I get it roughed out.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:00:37 pm »
I built a hickory heartwood a month ago. I was concerned about the same things you are. It turned out great and shoots lights out due to the light physical weight of the bow. Im with bub, build it and find out!...................dont forget to tell us how it goes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:03:01 pm »
I built a hickory heartwood a month ago. I was concerned about the same things you are. It turned out great and shoots lights out due to the light physical weight of the bow. Im with bub, build it and find out!...................dont forget to tell us how it goes.
    Pearl misspoke, don't just tell us how it goes, post pics! ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:16 pm »
Touche'! Thanks for the correction.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »
I have found ash heartwood ( pinkish/brown in colour) to be better than the sap wood.... much stronger but still flexible, mind you I only tried it once...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......