Author Topic: Suggestions on a shotgun?  (Read 6309 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Suggestions on a shotgun?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »
Thanks for all the info everyone. This gives me a good place to start looking.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
 I shoot my old model 12 (Mod. Choke) unless I'm going to get dirty or wet,then I throw in my Winchester 1300. I have owned three. Two went to my sons and the last one is in the closet. All bought used and all were totally reliable as long as I kept them clean (Like any shotgun) Don't have to shell out alot of money for them. Make sure if you go looking, to get the vented rib.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:33 pm »
Don't have to shell out a lot....you must not be talking about the model 12 then...are you Frank...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »
Talking about the 1300. Model 12's still cost less than most new shotguns. You can buy three 12's for the cost of a Bennelli.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:56 pm »
Check out the Mossberg website for the specific model and the available configurations. Personally, I have never had a better shotgun than the plain jane Mossberg 500.

Lane
Ditto..........I got a Mossy 500 20ga. and with my 3" #5 Kent Magnums and a HS Strut Undertaker choke tube it will downright flatten a turkey! I'm talking ranges that most guys wouldn't even think about with a 20ga. shotgun. First 2 I killed with it were between 35-40 steps and killed a coyote with it the same season that was 35+ head shot and it didn't even wimper or twitch!
I gave about $240 bucks for mine at Wally World and last I checked they were still under $250 so for the money you can't beat a Mossberg shotgun.
BTW- I also have a model 1300 Winchester 12ga. that will also stomp a turkey, but since I bought my Mossy the Win. 1300 just sits in the gun cabinet. The 20ga. is so much lighter and doesn't kick the snot outta me like the 12ga. does.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »
I have a Winchester Super X2 3 1/2" that is my main shotgun.  I do second the Remington 870.  You cant beat the gun.  They also came out with the Remington 887, my brother has one and it is a nice gun also.  Granted both are pumps but they wont break the bank at all.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »
Don't have to shell out a lot....you must not be talking about the model 12 then...are you Frank...
Was that a pun intended?  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:12 pm »
No Pun Intended....I have a Model 12 thats worth $750...so I know they aren't as cheap as an 870...or a Mossberg....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome