Author Topic: new hard maple bow  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Josh B

new hard maple bow
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »
This is my first attempt to post a bow.  I know the pictures suck, but I'm on the road.  Pretty limited on photography equipment.  Any how. This is a piece of hard maple I picked up in Castanea, PA while picking up a load.  It's 60" ntn, 60 lbs. @ 26". I tillered it to shoot right or left handed. The idea being to just flip it over and change hands.  Can't say which way it favors if at all.  Painted it with sharpies and Tru-oiled it. Handle wrap is the top of an old boot.  The floppy rest is the boot strap from the boot as well. Made do with what I had.  It has 3 inches of string follow just after being unstrung.  Then settles back to 1 1/2" of set after a couple hours.  Thanks for looking.   Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new hard maple bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »
Nice design work and from what I can see the tiller looks good as well. Well done!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:00:16 pm »
Great looking bow from what I can see, hard maple makes a real snappy shooter.
rich

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:28:59 pm »
With Sharpies? Very nice.

This is fun ain't it ?

Lane

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:55 am »
looking good from what I can see.  Tiller does look good, and quite a crazy sharpie pattern(I like it). Also fine job at using what you have. keep 'em coming.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:36:26 am »
Thanks for the kind words fella's.  It means alot to me.  I should name this bow 'The Truckstop Queen'.  It was made in the back of about 20 different truckstops in a dozen or so states, with a draw knife, rasp, and alot of sand paper.  I tied the handle to the corner of my trailer bumper to do tillering checks. I'm surprised it survived the process!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:36 am »
Very cool story and nice bow. The best part is you can leave the mess behind and move on to the next truck stop! Im suprised some of the lot ladies didnt wonder what the hell you were doing with a piece of wood tied on your trailer bumper.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
Don't see many 'Lot Ladies' (working girls) during the daylight, usually for good reason.  However, there usually ends up being quite a crowd of drivers standing around trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.  I guess entertainment is where you find it or maybe they are just killing time until the sun goes down and there preferred entertainment shows up. ;)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »
Interesting color scheme :)  Is that from a stave or board? Can't tell from the pictures.

Looks good though.  Is this your first bow, or just the first that you posted?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:23:04 pm »
This was made from a 4" branch that I salvaged from a big Maple someone had cut down and was hauling off.  It has a pretty high crown with several raised knots.  It has some really nice looking curl on the belly that gave me fits during tillering.  Scraping was out of the question for the most part.  This isn't the first bow I've made, just the first that I posted and the first time using hard maple.  If I can get home in the next couple weeks I'll take some better pics and post them.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:37:20 pm »
Well done.  Nice bow.  The pics are a bit on the small side though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
Great story behind the bow. I railroad for a living and bend wood wherever I am at. People are often curious and you get a lot of comments like" I've never met anyone who actually still does that."
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 01:27:04 am »
sweet bow ! now thats want to

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:33:28 am »
Good looking bow,Love to see it super sized. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Lombard

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:02 pm »
Hard to see much detail, but from the thumbnails it looks to be a fine bow.