Author Topic: Best way to reflex dry Hickory?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline R H Clark

Best way to reflex dry Hickory?
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:31 pm »
I have some very straight and clean Hickory staves.They were cut from a 20" log.They were cut about 4" square and left in an old van for 2 years.Right now they are arrow straight.I would like to add some reflex.

Should I steam or use dry heat? Should I take the stave to floor tiller before reflexing?How much reflex should I try for and what is a good length and width for my 29" draw?

I have made several Hickory bows but they were 2" wide at the fades tapered to about 1/2" the last 12" and about 66" ntn.I would like to try for a more narrow limb 1-1/2" wide or less.

I might split one of these and make one bamboo backed.What would be good length and width for a BBH?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Best way to reflex dry Hickory?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »
Use dry heat and work it down to floor tiller.  Length and width will depend a bit on your tillering skills and if this is the first time you add reflex then I would suggest you start small.  Go for around 3" of reflex for your first one.  I have made 64" stiff handled bows for a 29" draw pulling 70# with 1 1/2" wide limbs but they were HHB, a more elastic wood.

You would be better to back that Hickory with more Hickory rather than Bamboo especially if the wood is as nice as you say it is.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:57:34 pm »
Thanks Marc. I've worked staves with natural reflex that kept a straight profile after shot in.I've just never reflexed a straight stave so didn't know how far to push it.

I was thinking about 1-1/2" wide limbs and 66" NTN so I guess I'm in the ball park.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:47 am »
Keep us posted im in a similar boat and am curious how it turns out.I don't plan on backing.good luck!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:56 am »
I use a 3" full reflex form and dry heat. You could always steam the handle section and use a "press" style like they illustrate in TBBII. That way wont stress your limbs as much because its working the handle area more. It just pushes the tips ahead of the handle more than bending anything.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:46:22 pm »
Like the others, i use a heat gun on a reflex caul.  Wasn't brave enough for 3", so mines about 2-3/4" for now.  Works very well on hickry.  My only problem is i've found i lose more of the reflex in midlimb than anywhars else.  Is that tillering or uneven heating? 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »
My guess would be aggressive tillering and possibly to narrow of limbs at the mid point, or working section.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.