Author Topic: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!  (Read 23129 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!
« on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:04 pm »
This is the "leopard skin tissue paper bow"! ( my wife calls it " Daddy's little kitty" :o)This bow is more than just a pretty face. The stave for the bow was from an osage hunt with Chris Cade. I was splitting the log from the middle of its length, the wedge slipped and this piece came off. It was about 3" wide, 1 1/4" thick in the centered and tapering both directions to the ends. I knew there was a bow in there somewhere and knew then it would have sapwood in it because of the lack of good heartwood. The bark fell off while it was green but spray shellac saved the day. 
  Jump ahead a few years and I have reduced the stave to a decent 1 1/4" stave, 60" long. I brought the 1 1/4" out to mid limbs and tapered to 3/8" tips. The top limb has 3 clusters of pin Knots(above the handle, about 2/3 out and just below the tip) that I snaked around and the bottom limb is a little snaky. I used my Nicholson #50 to round everything off, the edges, pin clusters and belly so the cross section is basically oval. I added some deer rawhide(withTBIII) to the back for obvious reasons. You will see in the pics how thick the sapwood is...probably 1/3 the limb thickness.
   The handle wrap is hemp saturated with Massey finish with a Ferret's Floppy rest. The tip overlay and handle underlay are shoe leather saturated with super glue and antler cap on the very limb tips.
   She is 60" t/t, 57#@26". She shoots well but is a little heavy in the hand and has a definite thump when shot. I imagine the excess wood needed with a sapwood backed bow is where those things come from.   I'll shut up now....                        Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 09:43:16 pm »
...now for the BLING! :o   These are some close up of the tips and handle area so you can see the sapwood. Also one sighting from the bottom limb looking towards the top.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:52:52 pm »
Really a nice looking bow Pat, I like the tiller on that, I might try the sapwood on the next one I get where I don't have enough heartwood for the handle. That tissue looks great on there. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:09:38 pm »
Wow Pat, the tiller on that thing is perfect.  There is quite a bit of sapwood on it isn't there.  I must say, although it is backed with tissue, it is nothing to sneeze at.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:56:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Sapwood does work!  Not as zippy as an all heartwood osage bow but not bad for nasty old sapwood. ;)  After being braced for about 3 or 4 hours and drawn a few times she took a little set but straightened back after a while. I'll shoot her more and see how she holds up.   Pat

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:08:30 am »
nice bow :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:10:31 am »
Thanks David. We will be saying that to you soon enough. ;)   Pat

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:11:34 am »
I kind of like bows that THUMP! Not too good for standing Montana WhiteTail bucks, though.  Skittiesh things that they are.
Got you set up for June Self BOM unless you decline >:(
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:40 am »
Don, I'm in it for the GLORY!!! ;D     Pat

Offline jignfrog

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:32:23 am »
Pat that looks great. I would have never thought to use tissue as a backing. You are a genius. OH by the way that looks like another nice string.  ;D

Ron
Bruner Missouri

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 12:42:21 am »
Thanks Ron. I am particularly proud of this string. I think the yellow and black really compliment the leopard skin on the bows back...and the camo serving is just too, too much! ::) ;D
   The tissue backing is interesting but not as easy as it seems. It is so thin, when it gets wet it falls apart easily. Once it is down in the glue it will tear if you try to remove a wrinkle.
   I have a Cherokee style bendy handle bow I'm gonna put tiger stripes on. Ought to look quite cool.   Pat

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 12:56:06 am »
 AH.............."genius ?" ::) ;D ;D ;D....bob

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 02:01:10 am »
Looks like my kind of bow!  I like 'em short and with some character. What did you glue the tip overlays on with, i'd like to try that sometime?  SW
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Broken Arrow

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 05:04:00 am »
You rock, Pat B!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 05:49:32 am »
Very nice Pat,love the character and a very good Idea on the sap wood,never thought of doing that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good