Author Topic: bow stuff  (Read 6165 times)

Offline david w.

bow stuff
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:16:53 pm »
im about to start tillerring my bow i just need to make a tillering tree and the string needs to came in the mail, ill post pictures. I was wondering once i branch out and use different woods and use staves can i make those bows the same way im making a red oak board bow or do i need to do something else?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Kegan

Re: bow stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:29:16 pm »
That is one of the most wonderful parts of this sport- it is all gray- no balc and white. You can build them in a varitety of ways, just look at some of the marvelous designs that were in this months Bow of the Month contest :).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:35:09 pm »
You don't have to have a tree to build a bow.  Most of us do, but it is not required.  Some use tillering sticks. There are so many different ways to build bows we couldn't begin to name them all.  However, you can build all bows like the red oak board bow. You just don't have to glue the backing on.  Different widths of bow work better for different woods.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:26:55 pm »
thank you that helped alot im building my tillering tree even though I could probably do it in front of a big mirror and look at the reflection.  I just think a tillering tree will help

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:38:59 am »
if you have a digital camera with a timer you wont need a tillering tree. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2128.0.html
Just hang the wanted draw weight on the string and lift. the camera will take the pic. this way it is also impossible to draw past th wanted draw weight. I always tiller my bows like this. you might want to use protective eye-wear, cause the ow can snap and your face is above it. I'd say only use it with white wood for safety..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:56:28 am »
Or you can use an actual "tillering tree" like we did while making a bow with stone tools recently........

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:58:32 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Tom B

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:09:38 am »
Think I'd recognize that hat n shirt anywhere.Nice baskets on the prim. stuff post Steve.So much to learn and so little time. Tom

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:34:46 am »
Thankee, Tom. Yeah, Barry oughtta register that hat as an official trademark. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 12:49:42 pm »
I think I might try Finn's idea with the weight, but hang it from a tree like Hillbilly. ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:52:05 pm »
thanks for the help. that tree is awesome Hillbilly