Author Topic: composite bow  (Read 4902 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
composite bow
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »
Hello,I'm seriously wanting to make a bow from a hickory tapered core with a horn belly and a bamboo backing.Thinking it might be a sweet shooter.Covering the hickory with horn on the belly to offset any humidity infiltration to the hickory.I have some water buffalo horn 41' long split and am going to attempt to get two more halves from them 1/2 inch wide tapered to close to 1 and 1/2 inch wide 1/8th inch thick sanding and heating it to straighten it.That makes enough horn for two bows.These horn laminations should be at least 28 to 30 inches long.Putting them the full length of the belly.Does someone out there know if I'm going to have any problems getting these horn laminations to stay stuck to the wood.I figure to make both surfaces flat and then scratch lines with a hacksaw blade and use smooth on and wrap with inner tube strips.A reflex deflex design or a reflex design.Part of the horn close to the handle would be covered by the handle on the reflex deflex design.A foot long handle.Never built a laminated reflex design yet but wonder the same about the belly staying stuck and how to get a handle glued to it to stay on or how long that handle should be on that.I'm trying to stay away from any wraps so I can tiller it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: composite bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:53:25 pm »
That's 41"......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:44:09 am »
No words of wisdom or advice but please post up a build-a-long or a thread showing your process if you can, I'd love to see it.

Good Luck~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:24:41 am »
No words of wisdom or advice but please post up a build-a-long or a thread showing your process if you can, I'd love to see it.

Good Luck~
+1 on that sounds interesting for sure. Take lots of pics, I love me some pictures!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:12:53 pm »
Well I'm still in the stone age here I guess having only a 35 mm camera for pictures.Takes a while but it can be done.I'll try to get them on here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »
Almost all cell phones now days have a digital camera built into them and that's what I use most of the time for close up pics. It takes ok pictures close up, but real crappy ones if it's too far away.
Or you could have the 35mm copied onto a CD at places like Walmart or Walgreens and then load them into your computer from the CD, much easier than scanning them and better quality.

Good Luck!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »
Well I've finished two horn bellied hickories backed with bamboo.One failed during pre tillering and crushed the hickory.I guess three then.The horn added 13 pounds on one and 22 on another.Glue on handles /Reflex/Deflex etc.I don't know it is another type of bow alright but it is hard to beat a good old osage orange self bow.Sorry no pics.
BowEd
Ed