Author Topic: Brace height?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline snag

Brace height?
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »
I was watching a video that Gary Davis narrates on the process of making a selfbow. By the way, it is very well done! Anyway, he measured the brace height from the back of the bow to the string. Is that the way you guys do it also? I have shot glass bows and am used to measuring the brace height from the deepest part of the grip to the string. Just different for selfbows I guess.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Brace height?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:46:29 pm »
Brace height and full draw are always measured from the back of the handle to the string. For a quick refference I use my fistmele to check brace height from the belly side of the handle.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
Yes, I measure from the string to the back of the handle. Most of my bows are braced at 7 -7.5 in. But my current bow need to be braced at 7 3/4.  A good policy is brace the bow at the lowest possible brace height at which good arrow flight is achieved. My site has bow set up info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/selfbowcare.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:56:39 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:33 pm »
Yes, measure your brace height from the back of the bow to the string at the arrow pass. I usually brace my bows with a 6 - 6.5" BH.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »
I measure brace height from the grip or deepest part of the grip on the belly of the bow.  Full draw is measured from the actual back of the bow.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
I measure brace height from the grip or deepest part of the grip on the belly of the bow.  Full draw is measured from the actual back of the bow.

That's the way to measure BH on a recurve, but not ideal with a longbow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:18:59 am »
Gary was checking his tiller Dave. He will measure at the same point on both limbs to see which is posistive.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »
    I don't use a # my bows uselly right a round to the feathers touch to a 1/2 inch gap. I let the bow tell me by just shooting it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING