Author Topic: working the biface  (Read 6511 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: working the biface
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:03 pm »
I was very happy with this flake.  I will post more tomorrow if I have a chance to work on it.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »
The point is shaping up nice will post pics soon.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 01:15:56 am »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 01:56:50 pm »
I worked more on the difficult side and almost finished the straightening. One more side to go. I get real nervous toward the end and try to take no chances at this point. I have put off working on the point because I seem to alway break it so this time I am going to wait till I am almost done. I will probable finish the point before the base. I have only been knapping 6 months so I don't have as much skill in the finishing of the point. I was thinking of doing a side notch, any thoughts guys?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

Yeah, I have thoughts! >:(  Why the heck did you have to mention you have only been knapping for six months!  I can't do that well, and I have been attempting to knapp for far too long to only be where I am at.  I guess we have another smarty pants on board now!  Maybe I can see about a room in the Bulgarian monastery for you also! ;D  Nice job on a tough piece of rock! 8) I am only working with Obsidian at the moment, I have some tough tough stuff Mullet gave me, but I can't work it yet, at least not raw.  So I am going to save that till I get somewhat better than I am with the Obsidian.  But it seems that you are light years ahead of me.
Now I want to see how you notch it, if you do.  I can't notch worth a darn. :(

Wayne

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »
That was a funny post! I am also not great at notching but hope I get a chance to on this one.  Well here is the pic of the almost completed side and if you look close you can see the pencil line on the other side. I will have to fix the base but I learned a lot on this point so if it breaks it is ok because it is the journey not the distination that I enjoy.

JustinNC

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:48 pm »
You got that rght Iowa....I always board the knapping flight to Fiji and some how end up in ethiopia.

Offline Tower

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:36 am »
I haven't been posting here long ,but I've seen you come a long way in a short time! Practice,practice,practice. Centerline, platform,abrasion. In my opinion go for broke. It's the only way you get better. Notch it from the edges in! The same principals apply in a notch that apply on the edges. I'm not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tower

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 12:04:09 am »
P.S. Justin too . Very good knappers the both of them! I my opinion.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:04 am »
Things went real smooth this morning and the other side is done.  I have one coner that is rounded because there was just no material there so I was thinking of matching the other side.   So what do you think guys corner notch or side notch ? I thought that I would side notch but not sure. 

Offline Timo

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »
I'd probly give it some side notches. Looks good! ;)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 01:03:34 am »
It takes me a long time to finish points with so many other times going on. Anyway here is the finished product.  Comments welcome.  I like the point but I would have done it differently knowing what I now know. I think if I had rounded the sides the edges would be sharper. I had nice angles before I shaped it all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:55:04 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 01:06:12 am »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:54 am »