Author Topic: I want to build a horse bow.  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Marlin

I want to build a horse bow.
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:46:52 am »
Hello, all
I recently put together a sad excuse for a scythian style bow with a massive hinge on the limb. What I want to build is something more serious. Im thinking Osage backed with bamboo. If someone could point me in the right direction. Limb width,Length and thickness. Thanks, Marlin

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: I want to build a horse bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:33:22 am »
Hi Martin,  The originals were horn bellied and sinew backed on a wood core.   All wood repo's have been made.   You might peruse the back issues of PA.   For building one as in the picture look at the website for ATARN.   That site is focused on the history of Asian archery.  I've made one turkish bow, but it started making sinister craking noises and as been set aside while I make another.   

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:33:38 am »
There is a build along in a back issue of PA. It is a heavily sinewed backed, but no horn on the belly. Chris Cade (mechslasher) made one that came out real nice and I made one that broke in the middle of the handle because I skimped on the sinew in that area. I still have both limbs, mostly because there is 3 courses of sinew on them. I'll see if I can find the issue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:38 am »
It was a '98 issue that had the turkish bow without horn article. You can find the artilce online. Not sure why people get hung up on making a horsebow as short as possible. Many of the originals were longer and that makes things much easier when only using wood and bamboo or sinew.
  I pretty much only make bows with spliced in siyahs these days. Short perfect staves can be extended by up to  15-20 inches.

Offline Marlin

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:04:21 pm »
Thanks, M-P, Mullet & Pat
Here is what I worked on today. The longest is 49.5" long x 1.25" wide. The shorter one is 44"x 1.5"wide.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:16:26 am »
 i think a scythian   style or even a moderate profile of scythain design is a serious bow to try and make.. i have made all  wood and boo scythians  and three horn composite in this design its very difficult to achieve the finished bow in any material,,  to me this bow  is the most serious bow to make,, you need to get adam karpowicz book, on ottoman turkish bows,, the book is unparalleled by any other as is the author,, it will be what you are looking for

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:46 am »
I got Adam's book with the idea of making a Turkish bow one day.  Very detailed and a great book to own....even if you just like the idea of making it one day  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA