Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Hawkeye1974

Newbie Question
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:53 am »
Hello,
I am new to the forum so please FORGIVE my ignorance.  But is it custom to use carbon or aluminum arrows with primitive bows?
if so what bows work best with them ( I am interested in hunting and target archery.)  If not is there a website or place near or around illinois to purchase wooden arrows.  Also which are the best wooden arrows to use.
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:29 am »
Hello,
I am new to the forum so please FORGIVE my ignorance.  But is it custom to use carbon or aluminum arrows with primitive bows?
if so what bows work best with them ( I am interested in hunting and target archery.)  If not is there a website or place near or around illinois to purchase wooden arrows.  Also which are the best wooden arrows to use.

No, I would say not, those things belong with plastic bows not wooden ones, but the world consists of all kinds of people.

Craig.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
carbon is good but in my opinion cane is better. wood shafts and cane shaft canbe gotten from 3rivers archery from cane to port oxford cedar(poc) popalr  and laminated shafting material there are also a few more places that you can get other types of shaftign material not sure if they are sponsors so i will not post their names. not sure of anyplace off hand in your area to get wood shafts other than home depot lowes maynards or a few other place to get dowels and wood to cut and make your own. poc and poplar are great arrow shafting material i have seen some great ash and hickory shafts made as well i also have made some great pine shafts for target practice and to see if i could do it all hold up well on my bows just make sure if you go with wood shafting that they are spined to the weight of the bow you are shooting or otherwise you might have to pull a piece otu of your arm or hand and i can tell you from experience that that is not a fun thing to do not to mention the scar it can provide you. cane is a little more forgiveing of that but i would still try to match it within a 5# up or down  from the weight of the bow to be a little more match set of arrows.
hoppe this helps you out a little bit
doc

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:24:32 am »
Its all about preference, I have 6 arrows in my quiver at all times, half aluminum and haf dowel
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:46:58 am »
Tanks for all the answers alot to consider here. Hope to hear from you all realizing therea great deal to learn and I can't wait.
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:15:57 am »
The question is subjective, there's really no right or wrong answer. This  forum has a rule.. No fiberglass on bows.. No rules as far as I'm aware regarding metal, carbon, or biodegradable materials to make arrows.

The best part about this forum, in my opionion is that it is composed of a very eclectic group of people. So in my opinion, do what suits you best... Or as old Bill said, " To thine own self be true....."
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.