Author Topic: Cherry???  (Read 5424 times)

CTBowyer

Cherry???
« on: June 17, 2007, 01:41:38 am »
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I can get cherry staves very easily where I live and I was wondering should I use sapwood only, heartwood, or a sap/heart combo like a yew bow?  I know I'll have to back it with rawhide or something (as it says in vol. II of the bible)  but I was wondering what part of the wood makes the better bow.  Any thoughts?

Offline Badger

Re: Cherry???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:32:30 am »
Kevin, I have made several cherry bows but never tried the sapwood, I have a feeling it would be good but not talking from experience. I have a couplr cherry trees lined up to take down next time I visit mississippi and plan to give the sapwood a try. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:46:14 am »
I think leaving a few growth rings of sap wood would look real nice with the the color contrast.
Other than not not sure if it really matters if your backing it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

CTBowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:36:40 am »
Well, guess I'll have to experiment then.  When I get the bows done I'll have to post pics and stats.  Now I'm off to the back yard to clear those trees...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:33:39 am »
I've built a few cherry bows and used the wood under the bark as the back. The bows came out mostly sapwood with a bit of heartwood in the handle. If you follow Paul Comstock's advise for white wood bows you can make a good bow with it. I didn't use any backing on the bows I built and if the wood is collected and cured properly and the proper design is used, there should be no reason for a backing unless you just wanted some extra insurance.
   I have handled black walnut the same way with good results.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:30:17 am »
Hi,
I've used cherry and walnut sapwood, and backed them with 1/8" quarter sawn hickory. They take a bit more set than osage, but very shootable bows. Make them 1 1/2" to 2" at the fades, >66", <55#, and you'll be fine. The cherry is nice... it's easy wood to work, and straight grained. Good luck!