Author Topic: what is the value of a stave  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: what is the value of a stave
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »
??? I guess im not sure where you think you opened a can of worms ???

I figured it was a fairly easy question, did not expect the deluge of responses.  honestly i would go cut some ifi had a pace to do it, didnt have to move the wood in 45 days and if i had any idea what i was doing

Guess that goes to show what a helpfull buch these guys are ;D ;) I have had good luck asking land owners like the fellow in KS did on your familys property, also you can usually get a permit on FS land to harvest wood. You may also have luck if you do want to eventually get your own wood talking with fruit farmers, most fruit tree wood makes good bows and they sometimes will have wood from trimming trees. I may have missed it but where did you say you live? Again agoerges site has great info on board bows and other great info and the nice thing is im sure you have a home depot or lowes in your area and they will usually carry red  or white oak and sometimes Hickory boards and they are perfect to start out with because they are usually nice and straight. ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »
If this is a hobby you find you enjoy then the obsession will cause you to go cut your own wood. <----that was with a period  ;)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 05:57:49 pm »
Hey Triggerfinger the trading post is a good way to go if you are going to be up this way soon I can set you up with the most durable stave I have ever used.  It is laminated but It will allow for a mistake or two and still yealed a good bow.  It will be bamboo backed hickory with your choice of tip over lays and handle.  it is not as simple as a regular board bow but that bamboo and hickory combo sure is forgiving.  I can mail you one as well if you have anything to trade.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 08:38:46 pm »
They are worth plenty if you dont have access to cut. I pay or trade things of decent value to get osage staves. There just isnt much osage around here to cut. Plenty of white woods, but not yellow wood. A fella in Indiana may think your crazy to pay much for osage, but would pay good money for yew or vine maple from Washinton. Geography has alott to do with the value.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »
"what is the value of a good stave?"...two horses, a hunting knife and a woman who can't cook :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:23 am »
From my own personal view it's all about the person who wants the stave.
I have a few staves in my garage, if the right guy made the effort to contact me and visit, and I felt he would do justice to the wood I'd try to find him a stave.
One of the ladies from our club made a bow on a course and wanted to try another. I took her over to the woods and helped her pick out a piece of Hazel which we cut and split.
I've also learned that people sometimes don't put much value on what they get for free.
What I'm trying to say is, to me, the price is inversely proportional to the effort you put in.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:26 pm »
If you are going to build a first bow, I say, screw a board bow and go ahead and start a nice, simple, Osage bow. You can learn what a good piece of Osage looks like, how to chase a growth ring and tillering. And most Osage is a lot more forgiving than some boards or other wood. There are some nice Osage staves on the Trading Post. I'd expect most real good Osage with shipping would run around $100-120 if you buy one from a dealer.  Or you could order an Osage blank from Rattlestick Bows that are all most floor tillered with the growth ring already chased.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:02:46 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 05:27:30 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »
The cool thing about the trading post is you both get a good deal, much better than buying. Post what you are looking for, a good stave for a new builder. Tell what you have to trade and let the more experienced guys tell you what they think is fair. 99.9% of the guys on here will make sure you get a better deal than you would if you set the terms so trust them to take care of you.

That is good advice.. I have been trading ever since ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And I have had lots and lots of fun doing it and getting to see my skins on so many trade bows ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
  Del is right if no works been put into it It dos'nt mean much at least to me. Cutting your own wood as much part of building the bow as the bow itself. But after you build a bow or two you'll understand what I mean. But by no means is buying or tradeing for a stave wrong. I've did plenty of both.

I agree with what someone said. GET A STAVE
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »
I think a stave bow is much more interesting than a bow froma piece of who knows what from the lowes depot.  criveraville offered up a nice hickory stave im gonna try and end up with.  Lets see how little i can make the value of a stave ;D
I have nothing witty to say.......