Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 34238 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »
My pack got here this afternoon so all is good. Camera was here all along, wrapped up in my ugly brown wool sweater.  ::)  Got 122 pics so as soon as I can get them edited and on Photobucket I'll post them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
Cool! glad to hear you got your pack!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »
After Kenneth and I parked off the side of the Forest Service Rd we loaded up out packs, grabbed our bows and arrows and headed for the Salt Creek Trail Head. A few steps out I looked done to see this knapped stone artifact. It looks like the point of a knife because of the assymetrical design. Anyway I thought it was a good omen so I carried it in my pocket for the whole hunt....
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2011, 01:04:00 am »
This was the travel route to my stand each morning. The big pine just left of center is the General and at this point I begin the climb to the ridge and on to my stand...

...once you got over the steep part it mellows a bit...

...then around the side of the ridge...

...and down towards the stand area...

...with pretty good sign...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2011, 01:22:02 am »
Once in the stand this was my view. Lots of elk trails come into this area like the spokes on a wheel. You can see how barren the ground on the other side of the creek is...

This was gonna be my rain shelter if a thunder storm threatened. The earth under the overhang is devoid of plants and is bone dry to about 2' back...

...and the wolf!  8)  What a thrill. In this hard to see pic I took the pic just as he was turning to go to his left down the creek. At this point he is about 40 or so yards. About 2 hours later he came back up the creek and passed at about 30yards just on the other side of the creek below me. By the time I got the camera he had vanished.

...and a few visiters...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:13 am »
Kenneth makes a comfortable camp. He had stashed the tent and other supplies a few weeks ago in bear proof hanging bundles between two trees so we could travel relatively light going in.  ::)
 Setting up the wall tent was new to me but interesting. Kenneth cut solid deadfall for the ridge pole, shinnied up a big tree and he and I hauled up the 6" pole and he tied it off to the big tree. The other end of the ridge pole was propped between the X poles and lashed securely. Once done with a few more additions we had a home for the week.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2011, 01:42:42 am »
  The tent was very roomy. Kenneth had a kitchen set of in the right rear of the tent...

...the wood stove and wood just inside the front door on the left...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:16 am »
Glad to hear you made it back,sounds like a great trip,sorry about the lack of game but that is not what make a trip good.It is so much more.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2011, 11:20:10 am »
Pat:  That wolf is probably why the elk were gone!  I have had it happen to me more than once!  Not only do the elk take off but they are on red alert and that makes for some really tough sneaks!  The elk here are in very large herds and out in the open as much as possible so they can see any approaching danger.  The wolves don't kill the bison, but those old bulls that choose to spend the winter out in the mountains have an attitude and that makes them mean!  Add some grizzlies and you have a Yellowstone eco system hunt!  It looks like you had a good time and that is what its all about!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »
 8) Well just got back from Elk camp didnt see much a lot of sign heard a few bugles. Had about 50 Moose in the area the whole time. got a shot at a cow unfortunately i was 40 yards out and shoot from the horse,only missed by a couple inches but it was enough. Going back up after muzzle loading season ends. will post some pics later.

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Little John

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:33 am »
I think you are right Joe, I think a pack of wolves can reduce the size of an elk herd by a bunch in a few years. There was plenty of sign in Pat's stand area a few weeks ago and not a single fresh track passed by his stand in the week we were there or for a few days before, so those elk went somewhere. We were the only hunters in the whole area so it was not human hunters that sent them out of the area. The fish and game dept, will probably say there are no wolves but several people I have talked to say there are and that enviromental groups and such have released hybrid wolves because they feel they should be there or people get tired of the wolf pets and dump them out like unwanted dogs. Well a few wolves can be neat to see or hear in the back country but an abundance has never been good for wild game populations or domestic stock. Pat, your bows and arrows will go out today. Thanks for shareing this hunt with me.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2011, 02:20:26 am »
 Looks like you guys had a great time for sure. Very nice camp Kenneth and some great looking country. Sorry to hear that the elk were scares but it's always very hard to beat good times with good people in an awesome setting. Thats the true gold!  Kenneth you and your wife have sown some good seeds in your days. It's inspiring stories like these that birth the drive to step out and do the same. And when you find people like Pat and Marcia to share liefs adventures with ,,,,,,,,,well it just doesn't get any better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:42 am »
Keenan, Kenneth does set up a comfortable camp even down to the #30 wash tub for bathing. Too bad we didn't get a pic of that!  ;)

Offline johnston

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »
Pat , you in a washtub with nothing on but your beard makes for a disturbing image :o

Fellers I have tried to keep up a little bit on the wolf re-intro but I live in South Carolina. All of my "facts" come in my magazine subscriptions. How bad is it and  Pat were you legal to kill a wolf ? Realize you didn't just wondered if you could have.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »
Lane, having a wolf 30 yards from me and he didn't know I was there was the thrill of the hunt. 8)     I don't know what the wolf hunting regs are in Colorado.
I never thought about killing him. I felt honored to be in his presents. I'm an Easterner, go figure!  ;)
This was the only wolf I saw and it was a total surprise. Kenneth had heard them once and a while over the years but hadn't seen any.

The wash tub worked great to bathe in.  ;)