Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 34578 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:16 am »
Best of luck to the both of you! I met John at one of the Classic's a few years ago, and he is top notch! Good hunting and stay safe!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:17 am »
Long day yesterday Packing and scouting. The horse packing went well with no wrecks and I was well pleased with the scouting session, lots of fresh sign and you know that a herd are using the area, even tracks at the tent site. Was cool, about 50 degrees we used the heater a little going up and comming back down, warmer at mid day. It can be downright hot during bow season on the sunny side of the mountain or freeze an elk quarter at night time. Got the biggest part of the camp gear in and will make one more trip before Pat gets here with food, clothes, grub boxes, and incidentals. Got the bear  pruff stash fixed and all our gear up out of harms way. Time will fly for me as I have a big deadline to meet at work by Sept 1st and Pick Pat up at the airport on the second. We will be in camp before dark and ready to hunt the next day. Will have to resize the pics if I can figure out how as the forum won't take them.        Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2011, 01:36:51 am »
I couldn't ask for better hosts than Kenneth and his wife Kathie. This is a friendship that came from PA in 2005 or early '06 and has gotten stronger ever since...even after Kenneth had to pack my gringo butt out of the mountains after I sprained my foot pretty badly on that first trip. 
Thanks Kenneth. You have made my hunting dreams come true and now for a second time!
  I got my license in the mail today, almost have everything(packed Backpack, bows and arrows) ready to ship out to Kenneth's house, hopefully on Wednesday and am continueing stregnuous walks every evening and working on my shooting. The next few weeks will whiz by in no time and before we know it, we'll be hearing and smelling elk and preparing for the shot.  8)
  Thanks Kenneth and Kathie. See ya'll soon!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:29 am »
Thanks Pat for the kind words, you are a good addition to any hunting camp and welcome any time. Pat has given lots and lots to primitive archery and this is my way of giving back. Also back when this all began Pat was the only one to say an elk hunt would be his ultimate hunt when I asked in a P.A. post what would be your dream hunt. Thanks Primitive Archer Magazine for this forum where friendships  are formed.  Let the games begin.          Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:00 am »
Oh I have to thank my wife Kathie, I could never have gotten all that packing done in one day by my self. Also she is making up a big bunch of trail mix from her dehydrated apricots and other home grown ingredients for us to  take. Even better she will load up the horses and pack gear and bring them to us when we need to pack an animal out to the road. Thank God for all the great wifes.                                 Kenneth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 10:35:25 am »
A great wife is truly a gift isn't it.

I sure am getting excited to see pictures of this trip. Last time you guys told some great stories and showed us some beautiful pictures of the mountains. That is the next best thing to being there. I wish I was joining you two. Im in good enough shape to handle it, so of course I don't have the time. Isn't that the way life works.  :-\
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 08:22:07 pm »
Thanks Primitive Archer Magazine for this forum where friendships  are formed.  Let the games begin.          Kenneth

well said Kenneth!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Little John

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:46 am »
Justin - I wish you could make it also, I know you are the real deal and would make a good hunting partner.

Sonny - You are right, P.A. is a very good resourse and should not be taken lightly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:01 am »
Oh come on, Justin. You know you can find a few days tucked away somewhere!  ;) Nice and cool up in them mountains!!!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »
Next year Pat. I have one year of this tail chasing, circle running left to go. Next year I do enough hunting to make up for the last 3 that I haven't had time.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »
Hey Justin, do you have a rubber mask of your face so I could stand in as your "body double?"   >:D

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:32:55 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:00 pm »
Pat, I know how cool the mountains are, I have been doing a few roofs at just over 8000 feet for the last two weeks. Then I get home in the evening and it is still 105.  ??? 

Ill be in the mountains putting a roof on a cabin the weekend you get to Colorado. I also have a 22 mile marathon training run that weekend. Dang that makes elk hunting sound fun.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2011, 01:37:22 am »
 ;D ;D Sweet dreams are coming!   Keep us posted boys we are watching on the edge of our seats, ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:28 am »
Justin, a marathon runner would be handy to have in camp. You could just run around a small herd and drive them past  the hunters shooting lane.  L.O.L.       Kennrth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »
I know yall are getting excited,I am just hearing about how the plan is coming together.  :)Good luck  shoot straight and keep us posted. Life is VERY good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good