Author Topic: what is the value of a stave  (Read 6628 times)

Offline triggerfinger

what is the value of a stave
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
I wanna make a bow, obviously I will need a stave.  There are tons for trade in the classifieds but I have no idea what a stave is worth.  Im sure there are lots of variables but what dollar value would you put on a high quality stave.   I dont wanna trade a diamond for a turd, and I dont wanna insult anyone either.
I have nothing witty to say.......

blackhawk

Re: what is the value of a stave
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »
Is there any reason why you can't harvest your own wood?

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »
You can generally expect to pay anywhere from $20 to about $90 for domestic wood, and beyond $100 for foreign wood (european Yew, Ash, or Elm). Just remember that whatever the stave is worth, will also have shipping added to it, which is another $15-$25.

CP

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »
Value can vary greatly.One of the main things though is to know what you want and be able to communicate that to the trader-seller.Just saying a good stave can mean different things to different people.Do enough research to be able to describe exactly the kind of stave you expect and even then you may have to settle on something a little less that what you are looking for.The most perfect stave might even be a set of billets.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:19:14 pm »
I agree if you can harvest your own most white woods can be roughed out and turned into a bow within a couple months depending on drying conditions. I have seen some nice Osage going on e bay for fair prices. Really it comes down to what the person selling the stave sees its value being. There are allot of good guys on here who would just send you a stave if you just payed a few dollars more than shipping to make it worth there time. Head over to the trading post and post up what you have to trade and you can probably work something out.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »
I wuld start with a board bow or to,to get the feel of the craft. Try Georges site it has some great info and how too's

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:23:19 pm »
I wuld start with a board bow or to,to get the feel of the craft. Try Georges site it has some great info and how too's

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Good advise  ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »
Board bow ....yes good advise. But go cut wood and prep it first. And then while your wood is drying make a board bow or two to understand how to tiller

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:28 pm »
Board bow ....yes good advise. But go cut wood and prep it first. And then while your wood is drying make a board bow or two to understand how to tiller

Even better advise haha ;D

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
wow,   i guess i opened a can of worms.

I cant cut my own wood because i dont have a place to cut or dry wood, and maye most importantly....its freakin hot out and i just dont wanna

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:51 pm »
 ??? I guess im not sure where you think you opened a can of worms ??? If you plain dont want to harvest your own wood then do as others have advised buy it or get on the tradeing post and see what you can get. ;) GOOD LUCK  :)

Josh

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »
Its kinda funny, my famly has a farm in se ks that s covered in hedge trees, or osage as you all call it. Theres probably 50 bows worth in a brush pile up there, matter of fact we gavesome to a guy a few years back for just that purpose.  and then i have about 6 10ft logs of walnut up ther drying for stock making.  Too bad ks is so far away

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
??? I guess im not sure where you think you opened a can of worms ???

I figured it was a fairly easy question, did not expect the deluge of responses.  honestly i would go cut some ifi had a pace to do it, didnt have to move the wood in 45 days and if i had any idea what i was doing

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:55 pm »
The cool thing about the trading post is you both get a good deal, much better than buying. Post what you are looking for, a good stave for a new builder. Tell what you have to trade and let the more experienced guys tell you what they think is fair. 99.9% of the guys on here will make sure you get a better deal than you would if you set the terms so trust them to take care of you.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:03:05 pm »
The cool thing about the trading post is you both get a good deal, much better than buying. Post what you are looking for, a good stave for a new builder. Tell what you have to trade and let the more experienced guys tell you what they think is fair. 99.9% of the guys on here will make sure you get a better deal than you would if you set the terms so trust them to take care of you.

sounds like solid advice