Author Topic: Bamboo and RH  (Read 4919 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Bamboo and RH
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »
wytetale, I've used Urac as well, but there is not much difference between the weldwood resin and urac.  They are both Urea resin glues. 

The point is, if you read my whole post, the other piece of boo has the same crowned belly.  It wasn't that the clamping pressue wasn't tight enough, I know how to glue up a blank.  The fact that the piece that has not touched glue is crowned should be proof enough this wasn't a gluing issue of a clamping issue.

Justin, Thanks for the reply, I think you're the only other one on here that might understand what an arid climate is.....

Thanks Cam, but I think I might be done for awhile. 
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 06:31:50 pm »
That sucks. I've had boo do the same thing. I always stick it in the hotbox for a while now, and then I re- flatten the belly on the belt sander before I glue it up.

Yeah, I'll be checking the boo before glue up from now on.  I also may build a humidor type chest for my bow wood/boo etc.
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 06:33:06 pm »
Nate, I'll bet if I sent you a seasoned osage stave from here it'd crack like crazy there.  It's 47% RH here now at 95 degrees.  I've had trouble sending wood to the north all year splitting once it arrives.  Low humidity can really play havoc with stave bows too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline NTD

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
Oh definitely George, I don't doubt that but at least with staves there are less working parts to worry about ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Scott,
That makes sense in theoy but I've never had it happen in practice here.  Every boo strip I've gotten from the east coast in the past was glued up within a fews weeks of receipt and if it was going to crack because it couldn't curl after I would think one of the many boo backed bows I've made would have had that happen.  I'm not saying you don't have it happen, just that I haven't seen it here.
Nate Danforth

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »
Hey NTD not sure who you bought if from but I sell a tone of bamboo ready to glue planks.  after glue up did you stick the blank in a heat box?  Most people dont know it but once you have the bamboo almost perfect the way you want it you have to cure it in a heat box at 200 degrees for 5 hours.  once that has been done the bamboo will gain a crown and then you have to re flaten.  if they did not do that and you put it in the heat box that is where the problem is.  I have made tones of boo backed bows and every time I take these steps I have never had a problem.  if you did not use a heat box but had it in a garage or attic or somthing like that where it stays hot all day long,  that will do it to.  never heard of a dry climate doing it but I guess anything is possible.  if the person you got it from has there shop set up right to sell items like that it sould be as dry in there as where you are.  I keep mine around 10 to 12% humidity levels and heat treat all my bamboo and re flaten before selling and always have good results.  I hope this helps.

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 07:21:20 pm »
BowNut,
A bit drier than your hotbox ;) ;D

Nate Danforth

Lombard

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »
Nate, my skin would crack with humidity that low. Don't get discouraged, and press on man.

Offline NTD

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
BowNut,
To clarify, my point about how low my humidty is was to illustrate that I don't expect anyone to prep their boo prior to shipping it to me to handle RH's as low as 5 and 6% and 110F temps in my garage.  He may very well have done the hot box, intentionally had the edges lift and then flattened it, but the extremes here may have just re-bowed it.  That's my fault for how I'm storing and not the seller's fault.  The guy I got this from is beyond reproach IMO.

Lombard, You acclimate...some...
Nate Danforth