Author Topic: Favorite length, width and layout for Osage  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Favorite length, width and layout for Osage
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:31 pm »
Thanks Cameroo....was the stave completely dry & cured?  I found with one of my earlier bows (out of osage that was cut this past Feb) that I got a bit more set than I figured was normal but I knew the risk (can't stop making bows!!!)  LOL
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »
It was actually from a board that I received from George.  It was completely dried.  I failed to mention that I backed it with hickory.  I wouldn't think that would over power the compression strength of osage, must have just been from crappy tillering.  I'm just putting the handle wrap on it tonight, might get some pics up later :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:00 pm »
Well dang Cam, that's the first osage board I've traded. ???  How bout I send you a stave to play with?  I feel bad about that. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »
Don't feel bad George, I got two for the price of one :)  Boards are my comfort zone right now anyway, but I've got some elm and ash seasoning, so I'll be working some staves in the near future!

I'll stop hijacking your thread now Lee  >:D

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 02:57:01 am »
Hopefully I don't come across as hijacking this thread but this kinda got me thinking about a question that goes with the topic .......... if you have a pretty snakey osage stave do you guys normally go wider or narrower because of the snakiness? Or do you pretty much go with your above mentioned dimensions? ...... Keith
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Francis

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:51 am »
Way sweet. Sexy tips. Bet it shoots swell. Francis