Author Topic: tiller gadget ?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline lowell

tiller gadget ?
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:22 pm »
The tiller check thread by Bow Junkie got me thinking about the tiller gadget.

I have used one a lot and like the tiller I get when using it but I also don't use it because I feel like as I use it and pull the bow for extended periods of time I am contributing to extra set with it's use.

Is it just me?............wrong??.............right??....don't worry about it?!!!! ???

Ohhh....When i don't use it I just watch the bow bend from a distance by pulling it with a rope and pully for just a short time.  ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline DLH

Re: tiller gadget ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:02 pm »
Good question I would like to hear what others say about this as well. Would the gizmo be helpful if you ran it up the limbs at brace?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:17:02 pm »
I do most of my tillering by eye. With problem spots or twists I will use a gizmo and like the way it shows me unseen problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:13 pm »
   Show  me  the  gizmo????????   boy  here it  comes,   (I  asked for it didn't I?)  JEFFW

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »
I haven't built nearly enough bows to be able to judge them by my eyes alone, so the gizmo really helps me get it bending correctly.  I think the key to using it is to work SLOWLY  and never pull it any farther until you've got it bending correctly where you're at.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:37:56 pm »
   Show  me  the  gizmo????????   boy  here it  comes,   (I  asked for it didn't I?)  JEFFW

I believe you will find a thread on it in the How to's and Build along section of this forum, yes see:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23134.0.html

Craig.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »
Good question Lowell.
I have to say the bow I posted will be my first to use a gizmo on.
While tillering the limbs, my thoughts were, what if I am straining the limbs for to long.
So far I like the results of the gizmo.
My thoughts are for now to take it easy and not leave the bow drawn very long while marking the limbs.
Currently the bow that I posted in the thread is at a stand still. I have a bit of prop twist in the tips.
So I am currently working on heat treatment to twist those tips back in line.
After seeing the bow Richardzane posted Hackberry with slightly flipped tips.
I think I will build a caul to flip the tips some.
So end result with the gizmo is to take the time, and do not draw the bow any further till it bends properly where it is.
I figure if the bow takes much set, I could always toast the back a bit.
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:46:15 am »
I use it if I am working with good, pretty straight wood with out humps and such in the limbs,I also mainly use it while I have it on the tiller stick until I get it ready to brace, from there I mainly tiller by eye,If I use it out on the draw I just try and do it as quickly as possible. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »
   I only use my eyes I and see it helping if you have a nice clean stave. And like lowell said holding the bow bent for longer periods of time can had to over streeed limbs and set and string follow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »
I second Pappy on this one. I use it when Im getting a bow to brace then on to the tiller tree and my eye. Sometimes Ill take pics of the bend on the tree so I dont have to hold it there long. Works for me!  ;D
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"