Author Topic: birch stave - when to peel bark?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Bowyer3

birch stave - when to peel bark?
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »
Hello, this is my first "new topic" post.  My name is Perry and I live in Wisconsin.  I have been making self bows for about 5 yrs.  I have only completed 3 bows, but have about 6 in progress.  I love this sight!  :) Here is my first question. 

When should I debark the staves?  I obtained a fresh-cut, 9" diameter birch log that is about 7' long in April 2011.  I sealed the ends and stored it off the floor of my garage.  I  then split it into four quarters in early June.  Then I moved the four staves to my walk-out basement where there is indirect sunshine.

I am looking forward to reading responses.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Perry 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: birch stave - when to peel bark?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:26 am »
With most whitewoods you can peel the bark as soon as you cut and split the log if cut during the growing season. The bark will remove easily if cut during the growing season.
  You can definately remove the bark now. The wood will dry quicker without the bark and even quicker if reduced to almost bow size.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bowyer3

Re: birch stave - when to peel bark?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:26:14 am »
thanks for the response.  Until now all my staves were dry, but the birch log was free, so... I gotta try it.
Perry