Author Topic: arrowhead care  (Read 1637 times)

Offline andy thomas

arrowhead care
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
was wondering what you guys do to keep your arrow heads sharp and protected while out in the field?

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: arrowhead care
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:00 am »
not a hunter - tis illegal in California to hunt with lithic points. Besides I am just too busy.  As for your points - corrugated cardboard sleeves. Use your knife and make a space for the head to fit, Duct tape sleeves, Toe spacers used for painting toe nails to keep arrows separated, sheep skin in the bottom of the quiver, experiment and see what you like.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:22 am »
Stick a wad of Spanish Moss in the bottom of your quiver, then put your arrows in.  Don't stick then in too deep or you will pull out all your arrows if you try for a fast second shot.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:49:24 am »
I do like Mr. Skinner, Spanish Moss.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:31 am »
I hunt with a plains style back quiver ,I will have to try the moss in it . A good back quiver keeps the arrows in place . My arrows don't move when I'm hunting there locked in place ( so to speak) in my quiver.I am able to pull an arrow out with ease.There was a good article I read on this but I don't remember if it was Primitive archer , or Traditional archery magazine.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jasestrong

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:27:30 am »
What a great idea to use Spainish Moss, you guys rock! :)
Jason

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:04 am »
  I made a quiver that has 4 leather deviders 2 inchs high in the bottom.  I but an and inch of foam in the bottom. Just stick each head in the foam one in a section.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »
The Indians usually put a wad of dry grass in the bottom of their quivers.  Some quivers were equipped with a rawhide cup with a wood handle.  The top of the handle stuck out of the top of the quiver and was used to remove the rawing cup, if needed.

Personally, I've placed little leather sheaths over delicate stone points.  They are made from two triangular pieces of stiff leather glued together.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »
yosemiteben, the only regs on broadheads in cali are that they cant pass thru a 7/8" hole, and no barbs, knapped points are o. k., Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹