Author Topic: African Elephant War Bow Questions  (Read 21928 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: African Elephant War Bow Questions
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 01:10:07 am »
Yea, I dont' think those two "scientists" in Sunoco lab coats are that credible either.

I'll never go an an African hunt, so I didn't earmark the country.  But I know that there are some game preserves that are well managed. Unless it's all a big scam.  All the same I'm a people first person.  Africa is by and large F*$%ed up in terms of govt.  natural resources, and infrastructure.  Some say it will be the next big investment opportunity. I'm a sceptic.

That is going to bug me now.  Where was that.  I'm guessing South Africa and possibly Tanzania.  My African geography is terrible.  I remember hearing on a nature show or maybee a hunting show that in some areas elephants have made a comeback.  That is all I know.

Having training in economics it's interesting to me that a market for adventure hunting could develpe in these areas which would be beneficial all around.  So long as the incentives don't encourage poaching.  Since the market is for the hunt rather than the animal products I think this is less likley.  With the Rhino the horn is used in cultures that don't care that they are vanishing, The fewer there are the more valuable the horn is, the greater the incentive to hunt them.  Then consider that the poachers could make several years wages on one horn.  They see them as a nuisance because of crop damage.  In Naked Economics they drew a parallel to the rest of the world taking a protective interest in the American urban rat.