Author Topic: Snakey osage Not for bow of the month  (Read 7911 times)

Offline swamp yeti

Re: Snakey osage Not for bow of the month
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »
thanks stixsman and gstoneberg.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »
...  I may just have to wait until i can get back with Mr. Stoneberg to tiller them out :D

Kevin, I'm not that experienced with this kind of character.  I'd still love to see your staves and work together.  4 eyes are always better than 2 and I'd be learning there with you.  Still, I think we should get through the tillering with the seasoned stave you have started in the shop to give you some more experience before you take on even more difficult wood.  Even during hunting season there's time to work on a bow or 2.

Osage is such a good bow wood that you can make your tiller be different than what is normally considered optimum.  I've done it by accident and I've done it on purpose because I like the way the bow looked.  Either way, osage takes it and the bow shoots well.  If you look over my bows you'll almost always see stiff outer thirds because I like the way that looks and, once it takes an inch of set or so, I love the way it shoots.  These days I'm working on building short bows and am going through the whole learning curve over again.  I'm having a heck of a time keeping the bow from bending too much in the handle.  One of the wonderful things about this hobby...there's no end of new designs to try and things to learn. 

Sorry for the hijack.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »
Man I want a snakey bow now 8) 8) 8)

With snake skins it would look awesome

In fact I think I will post wanting to trade for one on the trading post.  ''

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:02 pm »
Talk all you want you aint hijacking anything,Thanks criveraville,build you one and take your time,maybe we will do a snakey bow buildalong.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »
As many of you know I am a fan of the shorties, however....
I have built many snakey bows and they still get me all fuzzy inside.  I have a special snakey bow that I love to bring out for the novelty shoots.

Yeti, that's a really nice looking bow.  I really like the gentle but numerous curves throughout the length of the stick.  What I'd really like to see is the "finished" bow.  That is complete with handle grip, decorated (if you choose to) and a finish.  Though not for BOM as you mentioned, it could be a contender if you repost it when it is finished.  If you have something to trade, I have a variety of skins if you're interested.

Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »
Also if you want to get rid of one of those staves and need something in trade pm me ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »
Thanks matt and soy maybe we will do some trading.