Author Topic: putting stone points on cane arrows  (Read 5686 times)

Offline sadiejane

putting stone points on cane arrows
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
looking for some advise and/or pix of stone points hafted to cane shafts.
just wondering about the tip of shafts at arrow point. since ya cant really sand down the outside of cane very much or you get to pith before you get to nothing!
so was wondering how  you folks make a smooth transition at tip of shaft?

thanks!

wild women don't get the blues

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: putting stone points on cane arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »
I think with cane shafts most folks build up or contour that area with pitch and mold it to smooth out that transition for a nice sinew wrap but hopefully the other, more experienced makers will confirm or shoot down my opinion  ;D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:22:44 pm »
hmm hadnt thought about that. dont have any pitch right now-well, none i would use for this particular project.
has anyone ever used wood putty for something like this?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »
Asphalt mastic or even roofing tar can be used to simulate natural asphalt (asphaltum or bitumen).  Many blades and points were hafted with asphaltum.  I recently bought some natural asphaltum for that purpose but I got the wrong type (very brittle).  So, I'm going to the harware store to find a small can of mastic or roofing tar.

It can be applied just like pitch.  You'll need to warm it up first and it can be cleaned up with mineral spirits.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »
I have been using the hot melt glue. I would like to experiment and add a little tallow and some ash to it. See if it softens it any at all, or changes its texture.
I have been heating the point and holding it with a piece of leather, then applying the hot melt that I also heated to make it soft. Re-heat the point some and stick it on the end of the shaft and as it cools center the point. Even before adding the sinew wraps it is pretty tight and secure.

You can buy it from 3 Rivers Archery;                                                     http://www.3riversarchery.com/Ferr-L-Tite++Hot+Melt+Adhesive_i4191_baseitem.html
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »
I use pitch glue for hafting stone and trade points. I make the pitch glue with pine pitch, bees wax and finely ground charcoal.
  To haft the point I first cut a single slot in the end of the cane with a bandsaw. I then open that slot to fit the point using a thin blade knife, rat tail file and sandpaper folder over and over as the slot opens up. I also grind the leading end of the cane so it is a smooth transition between the stone point and the cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 07:12:53 pm »
Foot the shaft at both ends for the nock and point using a hard wood, walnut, maple or cherry and then make your nock and mount your point.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »
JEB, I do that without footings. Self nocks and hafted points. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »
ok, reckon im gonna have to dig out that little container of pine pitch and work at it from there. i'm with you pat. i have used footings for cane arrows but i really prefer em without.
so you do sand down the forward pointing bit of cane to smooth em some aye?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:51 am »
I usually taper the point end on a disc sander almost like for glue on points. Then once the point is hafted I use a sharp knife to smooth the transition even more before sealing it.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »
I've done the same as Pat only using TBIII. Well, i can't find a decent picture to show the details but after notching the cane i sand the the tip of it down to a point then mount the arrahead. Makes a nice smooth transition from cane to stone.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »
 Like Cowboy said, you can glue it in with TB111, wrap with sinew and then build up layers of glue rubbing on with your finger. It get's really smooth. I also do the same with pitch glue. I have an old butter knife I heat up and then use it to mold and smoth down the pitch glue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?