Author Topic: recurves: static, or working?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
recurves: static, or working?
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:17:21 am »
 hey guys, just wanted some opinions on recurves, i tried recurving a board bow a few years back with steam but didnt have much luck. i also did an experiment with glued on static recurves but the bow was too long i thing, cause it was wayyy slow. i love my ELBs but would love a little more speed like a recurve, so for those of you with sucess stories and advise id love to hear your methods.
 thanks PA -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline bubby

Re: recurves: static, or working?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:40:55 am »
steam the tip for 1hr, and then to flip the tips I lean the bow on the edge of the countertop and use my foot to slowly apply the presher necessary for the job, just go easy, you can allways steam it more to get what ya want, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:33:56 am »
You could make a laminated ELB with some even recurve or backset over the whole length so that when braced it still looked like an ELB but with more stored energy.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:28:12 pm »
I like static with a flat belly but I am new to self bows so I have not experimented with all the variations but everything I have read says static is better.  the other thing I have read is that a working recurve will eventually pull out after many many arrows.  static gives you a better sting angle making the draw smoother but I am sure both are very smooth.  I use steam, i steam for 1 1/2 hours then recurve and I go so slow that some times it starts to cool before I am done with the bend so I put the heat gun on it just enough to maintain its temp and not dry it out.   I have only done this with osage staves. 

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:16:05 am »
 awesome- for you steam guys, do you use a form to keep it in? if so, how much of the bow is recurved? and Del the Cat, i shoot a montana long bow thats laminated and it has what you were talkin about, only problem is that ive got real limited bandsaw use- is there a way to do a simple 2 lam job withouw having a hot box and all that?  thanks guys -jimmy

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:31:30 am »
you dont need a hot box for tight bond glues or urac, and it's easyer to cut your lams on a table saw, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:56:53 am »
 okay thanks bubby,well im nit sure hw high quality youre tablesaw is, but mine soes not leave perfect flat smooth cuts, they got some sawmarks. do you hand sand the wood after wards? i would love to try making lam bows, i just always thought i needed alot more gear to be honest haha. i have a handheld belt sander if that helps. thanks bub -jimmy