Author Topic: trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
Looks like you fixed it bub  8)   I have had this problem too.  I have always cleaned inside of points with denatured alcohol. Seemed to happen whether I used a woodchuck (disc grinder) or a hand taper tool.  I finally blamed fer-l-tite, and started experimenting with my own hot melt.  I have found my mix of 4 parts fir pitch, 1 part beeswax hotmelt works better than fer-l-tite. 

Also, make sure, whatever bonding agent you use, to use a fresh wood surface, i.e. don't glue points on over finish.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Scowler

Re: trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:35 am »
That definitly does fix your field point problem. ;)  Great looking arrow.  As far as attaching field points, I heat the interior of field points over a lit candle for 30 seconds before attaching to the shaft.  I use Ferr-L-Tite for glueing.  Never had a problem loosing points except for in the coldest winter months.