Author Topic: Buckskin: What do you guys think?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Buckskin: What do you guys think?
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:42:53 am »
Sometimes what goes around comes around...and if you do good, then good comes back to you. I sent a bow out to a friend as a surprise and it completely caught him off guard. I am a little surprised at the reaction he has had to it (mostly because the fellow is a real "gun" guy) as he appears to have been absolutely bowled over. I never asked for anything in return, but things have begun arriving in any case. Now it is my turn to be bowled over as he has sent me boxes of what appears to be professionally tanned buckskin. I now have 3 complete hides, plus several large scrap pieces and I need to do something with them. Problem is I really have no clue what to do with them that would be worthy of their quality. I'd love to make some quivers, but the leather is so soft that I don't even know where to start.

Anyone have any ideas or can link me some projects from the build-a-long? In the end, if I can't come up with something maybe the stuff will end up in the trade section, but I feel kinda funny about doing that as the leather was a gift, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Buckskin: What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:32:39 am »
Make yourself a war shirt. You can get a pattern book from Crazy Crow and other places. Three hide war shirts were a common style.  Also check out the "How To" section for all sorts of ideas about quivers, possibles bags, moccosins,etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:42 am »
How about a bow case or two?   You got have something something to cover your bow(s) as you drive around.   A fancy buckskin jacket might be nice, too.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:22 am »
A war shirt would be neat. Or a Ghost Dance shirt? Those are beautiful. Pat have you made a war shirt?
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »
Not yet Cipriano but there is one in my fiture. All I need is 3 or 4 brain tanned deer hides and I'll be set!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:47:24 pm »
When I'm not making something with it, I throw my best hides over chairs and such in my work area...or I hang them up.  Cheers me up seeing all that fur and leather. ;D ;D ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:26 am »
Mike,

As we talked about, I was going to take some pics of my simple Plains style quiver and email them to you, but instead I made a quick video.  I figured it was so simple that a video would be easier to see what I had done.

Here's the Youtube link.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5C-pb0xrQ

I should mention that I used it a lot without the extra wide shoulder strap, and it was fine, but when I really started to fill it up, the extra width strap was just a bit more comfortable. I carry it over my left shoulder, with the fletching to my right side, at belt level across my lower back.

The extra thong that I tied across the mouth of the quiver makes sorting arrows really easy.  I had toyed with the idea of adding another thong going in the opposite direction to make a " + " so that I could sort four different kinds of arrows, that all have the same fletch, but have never gotten around to doing it.

Cheers,
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:27 am »
Thanks to all!

@Diligence: Big shout out of thanks to you! That video helped a great deal! I"ll let you know how the construction progresses.

-Mike

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:14 pm »
here is a war shirt rebecca parker made for me and she also did the quil work.  i'm keeping score of what i've killed with traditional equipment on the front and she did the hunting scene of when i killed a boar with a stone point on the back.  hoping to add more to the front and back in the coming years.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:48 pm »
 That came out real nice, Chris.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:54 am »
Well that isn't too amazing, is it? Thanks for posting that Mech.