Author Topic: why copper?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: why copper?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:16 am »
one more tip that may help. use an antler to make a point. then go back to copper. youll realise how nice copper is.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »
AMEN to that, Jamie!  Words of wisdom from the master.

We use copper because it works good.  It's actually a lot more agressive than antler and is not fussy about how you set up your platforms, usually.  Everything has to be perfect with antler.

The idea that hard metals send dangerous shock waves through the stone is kinda funny to me.  A hammerstone, like quartz, is a lot harder than metal and "shocks" the stone quite a bit more than metal.  Why is there no warning against using hammerstones?  It's because not many people have actually tried to knap with steel, bronze, brass, aluminum, etc.  Mild steel is actually very similar to copper but it's not used very often because it's slightly more aggressive.  I haven't tried bronze or brass but I would if I had some.  ;D

Ishi had at least one steel pressure flaker in his tool kit, if I remember right.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »
My Opinion:  There is a difference in using a hammer stone in a method of percussion and pressure flaking with a hard metal and is like comparing apples and oranges as to its effect.  Some of the old timers like JB Solberger claimed that using nails for pressure flaking caused uncontrolled flake patterns and produced future problems. The material you are using also has plus or minus knapping ability with steels.  Ishi's original "ishi Sticks" were tipped with wooden points hardened by fire.  What ever works for you to successfully make a point is OK!  I do also think that hard drawn copper is easier for a beginner to learn with!  One man's ability and success with a particular technique may not be something that works for each individual.  And the truth is some folks like Shannon are just going to be better than the rest of us no matter the methods or tools used!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Lombard

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »
Never make the tip of your pressure flaker any longer than how deep you want to ram into the palm of your hand.  A really long one will flex and slip sooner or later, you had better hope you have a  new and thick palm pad when it happens.  Bill

Bill, that sounds like some sage advise, brought about by painful experience.