Author Topic: frustrated  (Read 1989 times)

Offline triggerfinger

frustrated
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »
I made one of those PMJ notched pads.  It doesnt seem to help my flakes travel.  I watched some expert village vids and learned to pull on a ridge to getthe flake to run the length of it.  That works sometimes.  I think my platforms need some help cause they seem to break as often as they work.  Im getting frustrated at my lack of ability, im usually able to pick up skills much more quicklythan with this.  Upswing is my lack of PF and ishi skill has made me a 3/4 bopper ninja, I can do a bunch with that.  Im almost out of rocks again, so if your anywhere near me id put a lock on our rock box ;). Oh and if anyone needs to gravel their driveway your welcome to my pile of chips.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline stickbender

Re: frustrated
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »

Are you isolating your platforms?  That has helped me a bunch!   Thanks to Jamie. ;)

Wayne

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:08:36 pm »
it seems like if I isolate them to be just that platform nub sticking out by itself it shears off when K strike it. Im not sure what im not doing right.  Im sure that if I can run into someonewho knows the ropes theyll spend 10 minutes laghing at my technique and the rest of the day fixing it.  Im pretty sure Im a regular ol soup sammich when it comes to the knapping stuff.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:07:19 pm »
hope this helps a bit. very difficult to apply everything i want to say in one drawing. best bet is to sit a spell with another knapper.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »
If it helps any I alternate bevel after I'm finished with percussion . On my first pass I only hit the high spots. Then I pull the edge down about 1/4 the way to centerline & grind. The first pass should level up the preform on the second pass I apply pressure & thin it more. On this pass I try to get 3/4 across the point. This is using a continuous platform. Pay close attention to concavities & your flake ridge . Do not flake into a ridge that expands before it travels across the point. Place the tip of the flaker a little behind the ridge & push it off. If your not consistant along your point make it so at this time.  Now trim up the existing edge almost to the top of the other side. If this side is flat & ready to go apply enough pressure to remove the lip & travel to a desired spot. This spot depends on you.  Dress the edges & you are done . There are always some exceptions , but this is true in all things. This works for me hopefully it works for you. To make this work you have to pay attention to your point. DO NOT flake into a concavity & remember to look at the previous flake ridge. Sometimes you have to skip a little to follow the ridge. Hope this helps you.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:39 pm »
Also as mentioned to grind away then lateral grind...u can throw long flakes with a pressure flaker too rather an ishi stick...keep the tips dressed.  Watch your angles push in build pressure then lift to detach...Otherwise try and meet up with someone who has some time under their belt or make it to a knap-in...give some pictures to show us where u are at!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »
hope this helps a bit. very difficult to apply everything i want to say in one drawing. best bet is to sit a spell with another knapper.

Id love to sit with someone....but seem to be in a knappers desert

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:58 am »
I am sure there is some awesome advice in this thread, but its kinda like telling a horse how to paint the mona lisa, a horse with no talent, bad hearing, and poor personal hygiene. 

But im gonna keep on trying til were all outta rocks or ive used one of em to poke a hole in something tasty
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:21:25 am by triggerfinger »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 04:25:44 am »

I believe Cracker is in Ga.  I am not sure just where.  He is probably up from you.  I think there is another PA member in Ga. also.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »
 Cracker is south of Augusta on US1, Harlem, and he doesn't knap. Ken75 is in Waycross.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »
does ken75 knap or is he JUST a really good bowyer,  and I thought he was close to dothan, I thought that was a long way fromwaycross.  Still gotta get my geography down

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:47 am »
 I think Ken knaps, and was pretty sure he was in Waycross, not far from you.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:18 am »

Are you following through, when you swing your bopper, or are you stopping at the contact?
You have to follow through your swing, for percussion, and try to come in a little straighter on pressure flaking, rest your hand and wrist against your knee, and then apply pressure, and then use your knees to push your hand to pop off the flake.  See if that helps.

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 03:05:29 am »

Oh yeah, what is the angle you are holding the rock at when you percussion flake?  I find I run a much better, and longer flake scar when I hold it a little above horizontal.  Try different angles to see if that will help.

Wayne

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
I wish I could answer those questions.  I guess Ill pay more attention to angle and such