Author Topic: Best arrow setup for squirrel hunting?  (Read 7210 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Best arrow setup for squirrel hunting?
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
What would work the best for tree rats, as far as points and  fletchings. Going to use poplar shafts, I figure they are cheap and will probably loose a few. Deer season doesn't start till october so I thought I could sharpen my aim hunting squirrels, season starts aug 1st, they taste good too. Thanks, Eric.

"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline seabass

Re: Best arrow setup for squirrel hunting?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
flu-flus and metal glue on blunts will do the trick.the blunts don't stick in the trees.chech out my flu-flus i just posted.i use hand cut turkey feathers.hope this helps,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »
I agree w/ seabass.  Either high back feathers or single feather wrap around.  Check out some of the posts on this page, seabass and bowtarist and PatB have all posted arrows for shooting up in the air.  I use metal blunts, but brass casings work good too.  Also judos.  Oh, look at the sticky point post too.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:37:57 pm »
i forgot to mention the judos.thanks bowartist.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:26:01 pm »
I like to use brightly colored spiral wrapped fluflus and a nutter as a point.   The nutter is simple...taper the end like for a glued on point and thread a 3/8" hex nut on the taper. A few drops of super glue and you're ready to hunt.   I like a portion of the taper to stick out past the nut for penetration and the nut gives good shock factor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:03:00 pm »
Thanks guys, will give it a go.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »
I'm gonna give the nut a try too.  Simple...that's where it's at!

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:11 pm »
Yep simpler the better.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:52:52 am »
All the above, but in the last few years been using small pressure flaked points from waste flakes in the pit. For ground shots I have recycled old bear and zwicky points and really like the results. Ace sells a game getter hex head that also works great, but $$.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:15:58 am »
Yep, Tracy's right.  Hex heads are great, I didn't mention because of $$.  They do a ## on all small game, bone spliters!!  Might stick in trees.  They have a sharpened edge when you get em.  I've learned to tie em on or use the rubber "comfort grip" off a pen to wrap over point and shaft to keep from loosing when my wood arrow breaks...hit or miss. :) I do this w/ judos too because of $$$.  You can buy rubber sleeves from 3R, but once I saw those I started hunting "comfort grip" pens.  On my behalf...I just made "comfort grip" up to describe an object.  If that is a true product name, then I apologize for the props.  I dug throughthe nuts and bolts today and recoverd several 3/8" nuts and several ideas...reuse those old points too. bla bla bla :P it's late.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »
At the top of the Arrow section is a sticky all about small game points....lots of choices with photos too!

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:59 pm »
 Lok at the Thread that is Stickied to the top, lot's of good ideas in that one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »

I use my deer set up for everything. If you really want to sharpen up for deer (shooting)hunting you could shoot the same thing all the time. Keep it to ground shots I do'nt loss arrows with judos or blunds. For squirrels I make blunts out of pistol caseings with finishing nails drilled and glued in them. They never go under the leaves very far.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING