Author Topic: full brace pictures  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Dane

Re: full brace pictures
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 10:49:58 am »
David, remember, TAKE YOUR TIME. It is exciting as you see the bow emerge, but go slow now. You will be finished before you know it, as well. Bow buidling is not a speed sport. And be sure and exercise the limbs after you finish each scraping or sanding session. Pull the string back a number of times to let the wood settle into the new configuration. Kind of like schooling the wood where it is now supposed to bend, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:57:26 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline david w.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:10:32 am »

David, do you have a tillering tree which will allow you to check your draw weight at the varying draw distances as you work the tiller toward your own personal draw length? You should never draw the bow past what you want the final draw weight to be.

I hook a fishing scale on the string and pull it to the right mark on the tillering tree
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
What was the weight at what draw ?I thought you said you went from brace to shooting it
with no work in between,I must have misunderstood. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:43:32 am »
I'll bet you could untwist that string about 6 twists and the brace would be a lot better. 
Pappy, that is what I understood also. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »
I'll bet you could untwist that string about 6 twists and the brace would be a lot better. 
Pappy, that is what I understood also. Justin

I agree Justin, as long as the string is twisted enough to begin with.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 05:41:21 pm »
Greg, from the picture I would say it has plenty of twist to take out a few.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:58 pm »
What was the weight at what draw ?I thought you said you went from brace to shooting it
with no work in between,I must have misunderstood. ???
   Pappy

sorry if I didnt explain it right. I got it tillered on low brace and once i brought it up to full I noticed the limb was stiff, but i shot it anyway I couldnt resist, but i only pulled it back about 2 inches and I was only about 1 or 2 yards away from the target

Offline david w.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 07:17:02 pm »
pappy, the weight is about 35# at 22" so hopefully i can get a 40lbs bow.  My draw length is 28"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:04 pm »
There are a few DVDs that teach how to build Flemish strings. The one that I used was called DOIN' THE TWIST and found it to be a useful tool. These guys demonstrate multiple techniques to accomplish the same task. I would recommend learning to make your own strings or at least use the bowyer's knot and a plaited loop string. Your bow looks a lot better than my first, wish I had access to this site when I started. Lots of great advice and experience. Good luck!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 06:21:40 am »
If it is 35@22 you shouldn't have a problem getting 40@28 mine usually will pick up between
and 3 lbs. pr inch. so you should have at a minim 12 to15 lbs to work with so get the limbs working even and you will have a fine bow there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good