Author Topic: I broke one too  (Read 1484 times)

Offline gstoneberg

I broke one too
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:06:50 am »
I worked a point today and was really happy with how the thinning went.  Had it about done, when it slipped out of my hand.  I grabbed for it with the other hand,  got cut and it fell anyway, breaking off one of the ears. :'(  This is a terrible picture...but I was pretty bummed at the time.

Not sure what I'll try to turn it into to recover.

Good grief.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seabass

Re: I broke one too
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:14:38 am »
i'm sorry that happened to you buddy.that was a nice looking point.i would break the other side off,then haft it to an arrow.it is still a great looking point.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:04:43 am »
Looks like a bifrucated based point to me. Just like Seabass said, just work the other side down to match and VIOLA!

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:20:48 am »
Arrrg... :(

Sorry to see it.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:02:22 am »
Well OK then, that's what I'll do.  I need to stop making points and make some arrows now.  The points are more fun though. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:56 am »
I know how you feel. One time I made a point that was the best I'd made at that time . I hadn't been knapping long. A coworker wanted to see it .When he went hand it back he dropped it & it broke in a bad way. He was apologetic & I acted like it was nothing, but I was crying like a sissy inside.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
OK, I spent a couple minutes with the pressure flaker.  Here's my attempt at a bifrucated point.  I'm definitely gonna haft it up.  George

St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »
Looks good to go. Nice save.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:30:23 pm »
Thats what Im talkin about! Nice save!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
Thanks guys, I feel alot better about it now.  Here's what it started as:

And yes Tower, I was sure moping around for awhile after breaking that point.  Thanks guys for the encouragement.  It sure seems like making flint points is as much about overcoming adversity as anything else. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
When you break a point like that, just do the Knappers' Dance.  Stomp around in a circle, wave your arms, say the WORDS, (you can mutter them under your breath if the boss or kids are around) and if you are really upset, you can finish by throwing the point as far as you can or if in a small area, throwing it down and jumping up and down on it.  Don't do that last one barefoot.  Nice save, by the way.  Ever wonder why you find Kirk Stemmed and Kirk Corner Notch on the same site?  Bill