Author Topic: trade bow  (Read 2967 times)

Offline sadiejane

trade bow
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
morning folks.
more than a little embarrassed to admit but....
yup, i'm one of the tardy ones.
but just about to finish up this osage selfbow made for the bow trade
unfortunately since i cannot pull it to full draw, my pals wayne and nick have had all the fun shooting 'er in.
64" ntn, 50# @ 28.
gonna lay it out in the hot summer sun and rub beeswax/walnut oil mixture into it over the next cupla days. add leather for a handle, get a proper string twisted up and get 'er off in the post monday.
will add some more pix as it gets finished.
my sincere apologies to the fella who is waiting on his bow.

next year i would respectfully request to not get a bow over 45#(if you guys let me do it again after beings a month late...)it sorta sucks to make a bow i  cant even shoot. tho i totally trust my pals wayne and nick. they've been at this bow making for many many years. between the two of them, they have put well over a hundred arrows thru it the past cupla weeks.  wayne is a very kind and gentle man(the guy in the pic) but he would not candy coat his opinion about a bow, so i feel confident sending it out even tho ive never shot it( well, i have put a few arrows thru at the furthest i can draw this particular bow-about 25"-but that doesnt tell much of a story)

a quick pic of one of the nocks roughed in

this was a great(if somewhat nerve-wracking) project. much appreciated to the guys who set it up. promise to do better time-wise next year.
thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:37:45 pm by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: trade bow
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:50:33 pm »
Nice lookng bow! I am sure it will be worth the wait for the recipient ;D and im not sure if I will be a part of organizing or in charge of anything on the second annual PA bow trade but I cant see people who are late with their bows this year not being alloud to participate next year, things happen and sometimes life gets in the way ;) I bet the guys who were late this year will be the first to ship next year ;D I already have a stave picked out :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »
thanks josh. its just a simple stickbow but should shoot for many years to come.
unbraced

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »
Thats great!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »
Sweet. Unstrung profile looks great. Should be a nice shooter bow making momma ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:03:41 pm »
Nice bow Sadie. That bugger stands straight up unbraced. Very nice work!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »
Nice Bow....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:17 am »
Looks like a fine bow to me! Nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »
Hey Sadie Jane, that beeswax/walnut oil finish sounds interesting. How does that work? You have to melt the wax to get them to blend or what. I think I would like to try that finish on my next bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Shaun

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:18 am »
Hey Sadie, nice bow! Great tiller and nothing too fancy, just how I like em. Good to see Wayne on the web, only see him once a year at MOJam.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:38:49 am »
dave-the beeswax/walnut oil mixture is something i read about in a swedish woodworking book. 2/3 beeswax to 1/3 walnut oil. it is supposed to actually help "cure" the wood. yes, it needs to be warmish. it can be warmed simply by hand rubbing. or rub it on, heat with a heat gun lightly then rub. thats why i had it out in the summer sun. let solar do the work. still it needs lots of rubbing to work it in well. i do about 6-8 applications before it wont soak anymore in. it gives a nice "warm" feel to the wood.

shaun-wayne is only on the web thru friends. he doesnt own a computer nor see much use for em....
yes, there is just something about a simple stick bow.

thanks everyone for your kind comments