Author Topic: rattlers over true oil?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Catnapper

rattlers over true oil?
« on: August 06, 2011, 12:18:38 am »
Well I've pretty much finished my snakey osage bow and have applied 1 coat of true oil....after applying the true oil I managed to kill to 4' prairie rattlers in our hayfield and would now like to add  them to my bow. Can I put the skins on over the true oil with titebond or should I sand the finish off first?  I'm hoping I can avoid the sanding since the back ring is pretty thin all ready. Thanks for any help! ........Keith
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: rattlers over true oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:31:42 am »
Just scuff the finish with 80 grit sandpaper, then glue as normal.  Use masking tape on the belly to lessen cleanup, and be careful with trimming the edges of the skin so you don't cut into the wood.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:44:03 am »
Thanks for the reply.... that's what I was hoping to hear  ;D
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:48:49 am »
With only one coat of Tru-Oil I would lightly scrape and sand it off before glue-up to insure good adhesion.  The skins may stick to the Tru-Oil but it would be a shame if it didn't.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:22:20 am »
Very true pat! I have been looking for some good snakes for  quite some time so it definitely not be good if these two went to waste! This is going to be my elk hunting bow this year so I want everything to be perfect!
Gillette, Wyoming