Author Topic: Aug4 point (2 more added)  (Read 2052 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Aug4 point (2 more added)
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:49:25 am »
Made a point over the last couple days.  The granddaughter is visiting and my time's at a premium.  My thinning still is weak, as is my notching.  But, in the end I did get a point.  It's a stout little bugger.

The spall had some ridges running point to base on one side and I never got a flake to drive through them or could reach them from the ends.   Stalled one notch right away, so did the other one short to match.  O well, it was still a fun point.

George
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:04:32 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Aug4 point
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:41 am »
That's a very nice point. I don't know if it will help, but after the initial thinning " percussion" I hit the high spots on the blank before I lay out the point . This is when I try to remove any troubled spots. Try to lay it out so you can break the back ( so to speak) of any ridges . It's what I do but others may have their own ways. Hope it helps. Again I like the point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:34:27 am »
I think I understand, thanks.  This point was like most of mine, seems I fight problems from the first hit to the last.  I whacked off about a half inch of the spall on about the third hit. I almost pitched it then. That left the base, the tip and one side with square edges.  I was pretty tired of doing that zig zag edge work by the time I made it 3/4 of the way around.  Slabs would drive me crazy.  Then I concentrated on thinning the tip instead of setting up to get those ridges.  I guess I assumed I could get them from the side but that was a bad assumption.

Sometime I'd like to drive down and watch you do some notching.  I stink at it and could use some instruction.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:56:29 am »

Dang george, that is a pretty nice point! 8)  I'd put that one on an arrow and stick a hog! ;)

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:33 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 10:25:02 am »
Good looking point! Looks like it'll attach to any shaft I ever use. I struggle with notching also and can appreciate those that can notch well. Really like the material- ? kind

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:26:45 am »
Thanks Tracy.  All my rock is Texas flint, some is gray and some root beer.  There are probably more accurate names. :) Well, I've also got some obsidian and I don't know where that came from.  People have been kind to me with rock, the flint came already heat treated.  I tried a raw one the other day, wow you have to hit that stuff hard!  We have some flint at the deer lease, but there's lots more further S of Dallas.  Cipriano found a bunch.  Next time he goes for rock I might try and go with him.  There are many advantages to living in Texas, the flint and pigs to poke with it being a couple of my favorite reasons. ;)

I am dressed and ready to go out and hit some rock this morning, but our daughter just called from the Philippines  and I've been staying inside.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »
Good point George! That's either georgetown or some other kind of perd that's been heated by the looks of it. One of these days we will connect. Seems like any of my time is at a premium these days. At work now but it's not bad seeing as how my camper is parked at Pappy's place :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:08 pm »
You dog!  I'm envious.  What a nice place to go to at the end of a long workday. :)

We'll make contact sometime.  In the meantime I'll keep workin at it.  Well, today I'm sidetracked trying to hack out a quick bow.  Maybe tonight when it cools down a little.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »
Well, a good friend called and needed somebody to talk to.  I set a couple chairs in the shade on the tarp and chipped out a couple more points.  The first one I nearly gave up on, but kept after it and got a bird point.  The second point had a beautiful swirl of cream in root beer.  I worked hard to keep some of it.  Had a couple flakes shoot too far (that's a funny twist) but I still like the way it looks.  I'll send the small point home with Ken, he's a good friend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Aug4 point (2 more added)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »
I love those colors. Texas flint? Nice points they need to be hafted.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 01:05:30 am »
Well, maybe I'm wrong?  Patrick, I got that rock from you.  I assumed it was local?  It really had a beautiful cortex on it.  Wish I'd taken a picture of the spall.  I'll check to see if I have another chunk of it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:10 pm »
George, all that heat treated stone is Edwards plateau chert.  Many different varieties in there including rootbeer, pedernales, etc.  All of it got darker with heat.  Very glassy stuff.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »
That top point is awesome George! I'm starting to love swirls and diff colors in rocks vs solid colors. We went on a little rock run here at Pappy's today for some creek chert - actually found some decent stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.