Author Topic: Started new board bow! updated! new tiller pic! help please!  (Read 4731 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Started new board bow! updated! tiller question? help please!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:13 am »
Thanks PA, I was considering shortening it to increase the draw weight. I was thinking on using the formula I found on YouTube by one of the members of this site.  I guess if I shorten the levers before I finish the tillering then I can kinda start over in a way right?  Well it looks like I got my work but out for me for the weekend. I'm kinda slow, which is a good thing I guess. But I felt like I WAS rushing the tillering.  Which plays on my impatient side, (need to work on that some more)

I made a really nice shooting flat bow that had 1/4" difference between top and bottom limb and it shoots fast and smooth. I will hopefully post some more pictures this weekend. Thanks again, Patrick.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 04:39:38 pm »
As they say, "as soon as you feel impatient, go have a beer and continue another time." 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Started new board bow! updated! new tiller picture, help please!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »
Well I worked on it for a while tonight, and I got it bending better out towards the levers. How do you think the tiller looks now? The top limb is on the right in the picture.  I'm only off by about 3/16 me an inch now from top limb to bottom limb. The bottom is a little stiffer still.  Tell me what you think I am open to any help and comments. Thanks, Patrick.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »
I think you just gotta shoot it now, see how it feels.  Looks a bit stiff on the left to me, but it may shoot better that way.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Started new board bow! updated! new tiller pic! help please!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 11:12:38 pm »
Your right SLIMBOB, the left is a little stiff. I did manage to shoot it twice before it got dark on me. It shot a lot better than last night. The hand shock is considerably less but it's still there a bit. I WAS thinking on taking about 20 more sanding passes off the bottom limb to see if that helps. Once I have the tiller fixed then I plan on cutting it down some to put me back to my draw weight. Thanks, Patrick

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks to me like you can still lighten those tips a bunch which could help.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 12:59:20 am »
Your right bud, the tips are still full thickness of the board. After the fades it goes from 1/1/4"wide to 1/2"tips. I do Plan on removing some weight from those levers. Thanks, Patrick

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 03:48:55 am »
The upper (right) limb is bending too much close to the fades. The inner third really.
What you should be watching is where any set appears. You should be aiming for none at the handle and it increasing progressively the further out the working limb you go.
Set is your guide to how good your tiller is...and it never lies  ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 11:38:38 am »
Thanks Mike, that is something I haven't heard or read before. About the set. I will work on the outer part of that limb and just clean up the whole thing. Them see what the tiller lookes like. Thanks guy's so much! Patrick.