Author Topic: Osage English Style Longbow  (Read 9349 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Osage English Style Longbow
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:15 pm »
Man,

This is a nice looking bow.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 11:17:58 pm »
Ya that looks pretty dang great to me, Well done!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »
very nice elb i like to make them also fun to shoot and i don't see anything wrong with the tiller. looks great
bryan irwin

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 02:48:13 am »
nicely done - I really like the way you finished it off.
Gordon

Offline Dazv

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 11:28:32 am »
very nice bow you have made there dose it have much hand shock???

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 10:01:52 pm »
Very nice bow. Once you get the hang of the way to form the d profile, and then tiller it, it gets like second nature. Just like making a flatbow but different. You get the little processes of it stuck in your head. I am sure you will master it, regarding the skillful bows you have posted and post on here all the time. I am still getting the hang of making d profile bows myself, but it's getting easier and easier, I just take the unworked stave, mark the 3 main alignment points, and rough it out real fat and chunky with a hatchet to remove most the excess wood. And then erase the two marks at each tip, so I can use my eye, by looking down the stave, to do the rest of the roughing out, (I go from hatchet to butcher knife, the butcher knife is what I substitute for where everyone else would be using a drawknife). I make it a square, just a bit more wood then I would need. And then lastly I work it down and round the belly/shape the tips, exc, with a farrier's rasp. I also round the edge's on the back just a bit. Then I floor tiller it by removing wood from the belly, and sides a bit. But mostly the bottom of the belly, as taking wood off the sides does not effect tiller as much. This part and tillering in general I do not find too much different than tillering a flatbow. Once the bow is floor tillered to where it I feel it is ready to put on the tiller to tree to see what it really looks like, I will cut temporary nocks in it. After it is tiller fully, I actually go and sand to as much as I am going to sand to, usually 600, (which can always effect tiller a bit sometimes anyway), and also burnish the whole bow, and then I will measure and put the horn nocks on. I do this because I hate accidentally scratching the polished nocks with sand paper.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 10:55:47 pm »
that is sweet...love the tiller and profile....if i may ask what is the measurements on it (the handle,fades,tips)i might have to try it on a peice of yew...thanks for sharing john